Are sport-bikes any more dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think that bikes like the Kawasaki Ninja's or similar are anymore dangerous then say a Harley or similar? My dad has always preached that sportbikes are much more dangerous because of their power and speed, and I agree to a point, but wouldn't safety of the bikes depend more on the driver, and not the bike???

No...it is just those brands of motorcycle attract idiots. But not to worry....Darwin was right.
lol.gif

If anytihng I would say sport bikes are much much safer, they handle better, stop on a dime and have the abaility to accelerate out of many situations far better than any cruiser. The ridrs on the other hand are a different story. All depends on the ability and maturity of the rider to stay out of trouble.

They do everything faster. That means they can either get you INTO trouble faster, or get you OUT OF trouble faster.

Depending on what you are asking the bike to do determines the safety of the situation.

Thanks guys. The reason I ask is because I'm interested in one and everyone seems to think I'm going to get hurt on it, but I am actually very cautious while I drive, and I don't like to act like an idiot on a bike. I would ride it the sane as a cruiser, just fun but safe.

I presently ride a 2012 ZX-14R Kawasaki and I can honestly say that this thing will get a inexperienced rider into trouble faster than a teenager on prom night with no protection.

If I choose to run full-throttle through first and second gear I will gain so quickly on any vehicle in front of me that it truly seems that they have hit the brakes. It doesn't matter if they're traveling 40 mph or 70 mph.

Yesterday I turned my traction control to level 3 (most intrusive) and turned my power setting down to 'Low' and did a full-throttle run through first and second gear. The fear factor was greatly reduced and the big Ninja just felt like any other über quick sportbike I've ridden. Doing this same run with traction control turned off and full power being applied (nearly 200 Horsepower to the tire right out of the box) will result in the front tire shooting toward the sky in less than the blink of an eye and the vehicle hitting 120 MPH in about 5 or 6 seconds. These things are scary fast.

I have ridden many styles of motorcycle over the years and in my opinion sport bikes can get the rider into serious trouble if the rider isn't paying full attention and not respecting his machine. Run wide open on a Cruiser, ANY Cruiser excepting the V-Max, and you'll have fun. Running wide open on a 1000 cc and bigger sport bike and you're flirting with death. I guess that's why I love them so much!!

It's akin to saying that a Corvette is more dangerous than a Cadillac DTS. It has everything to do with the ability and maturity of the driver/rider- and nothing to do with the car/bike
That said, you rarely see a sportbike with rusted front discs- and you hardly ever hear a sportbike rider say, "Didn't have me no choice but to lay her down..."

The bike is only as dangerous as the rider. I have had sportbikes for years and never put myself in danger by riding way to fast. If your cautious when you ride and don't try to do things above your ability then it helps keep you out of trouble. The biggest threat is still the other people on the roads with you.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Do you guys think that bikes like the Kawasaki Ninja's or similar are anymore dangerous then say a Harley or similar? My dad has always preached that sportbikes are much more dangerous because of their power and speed, and I agree to a point, but wouldn't safety of the bikes depend more on the driver, and not the bike???

Much safer if anything. They do everything better like someone posted, they can stop, handle and accelerate better than many super cars with a skilled rider.
Put an inexperienced, unskilled rider or an idiot on the stool and it can be a deadly combination.
Reading this thread makes me shudder. my first experience back in the early 80's with a high HP bike terrified me but good.

I went from a low powered bike to a straight 6 CBX and almost killed myself, way to fast and hit a curve and ended up on the other side of the road.
If someone were coming the other way i would have been toast. I couldn't ride it just aim it.
Fortunately a friend of mines father was a Bavarian Police riding instructor, he taught me how to ride but not on that thing.
He wouldn't let me back on it for over a year (just a promise i wouldn't until he thought i was ready even though i had a license for it).

Its all about what sits in between your ears.

They are all "dangerous" to some extent but that is in part because we have a very distracted generation of drivers (Read: texting and driving soccer moms and teen drivers etc etc)

A bike will only go as fast as you make it. Honestly I think small displacement scooters are more dangerous because they don't have ANY power to get you out of trouble and an anxious driver stuck behind a scooter is intimidating and dangerous. Going too slow is just as dangerous as too fast.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be starting out with anything over a 600, actually I was thinking more in the range of a Ninja 300 or Ninja/CBR 250R

around here, no the bikes aren't more dangerous, It's the crazy moron idiots that ride them.. Wheelies on crowded public roads, weaving in and out of traffic at a very high rate of speed...Unless I blow a little smoke on them with my PSD.. then those punks are coughing and stop because they can't see where they are going.

They're easier to speed on, but that's a self-control issue...meaning that I agree with the above posts that it's the RIDER that matters most.

Same thing applies to sporty cars. A Camry and a Corvette can both do 100mph, but the Corvette gets there with much less effort.

Around here there are plenty of stupid riders, but for every stupid rider there are three stupid drivers that don't pay attention.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987

I think the underlying problem is that most new bike riders don't have the experience to properly manage the capabilities of a typical sport bike which typically greatly exceeds capabilities of an average car that they are used to driving. So, there is a significant risk that they'll crash before they learn.

Even with a low powered cruiser there is going to be a risk for a new rider as the 2-wheeler just handles and behaves differently than a car, so it'll take time getting used to and figuring things out. But with a more powerful sport bike, there is the added risk of gaining too much speed too fast or slamming brakes too hard too quickly and not being prepared to control it properly.

So yeah, I agree, it's all about the rider and his/her experience and the use of common sense.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Damaged sport bikes are plentiful and cheap to buy.
There's a reason for that.
+1
And the guy you buy it from is wrapped from head to toe in bandages.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Damaged sport bikes are plentiful and cheap to buy.
There's a reason for that.
+1
And the guy selling it is wrapped from head to toe in bandages.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back