ARX tale - engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All, thought I'd throw in my experience with an Auto-RX treatment for the engine in my (new to me) 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0. I'll post a separate thread for the transmission treatment.

I got the vehicle with just over 86K miles on the clock. There were no oil leaks under the vehicle at the time of purchase.

After doing the research on ARX, only one treatment would be required. A full 12 ounces were used for the 6qt oil capacity, using Supertech dino from Walmart and a PureOne filter. The ARX is a very dark honey color; prior to using it, I sat the bottle in a bowl of hot water from the tap for about 20 minutes. I shook it up well, and when I got out to the Jeep, it poured easily, almost like water. I saved the last quart of oil to pour in after the ARX, to make sure it all went in. After shaking, the color had lightened somewhat, possibly due to aeration.

Over the next 1500 miles, there was some additional valve noise from the engine, which came and went. Sometimes the engine would be silent, other times it sounded like a very quiet diesel, or similar to coffee percolating.

About 400 miles in, the engine got quite a bit smoother, and seemed to have more power. The smoothness came and went several times, then finally stayed.

At 1500 miles, the oil was changed for the rinse phase, again with ST oil and PureOne filter. The old oil came out very black, as black as any oil I had ever seen.

About 500 miles into the rinse phase, I started to see oil pressure fluctuations. Usually the Jeep runs just over 40psi at idle and about 55 on the road. The pressure indication dropped as low as 25-30, and got up as high as 80. Although I had read about it, it was still alarming and I even pulled over to check the level at one point; but the oil level remained in the safe zone and never changed. The temperature gauge is running cooler at this point, about the width of the needle; however I cannot tell if this is due to increased oil circulation or replacement of the faulty radiator cap.

At about 2300 miles into the rinse phase, I had occasion to take a look under the vehicle. There is now a slight darkening of the rear of the engine and front of the transmission, which would indicate some oil seepage. I'll keep an eye on it, but based on what is posted here the leak should stop shortly - unless the seal is physically damaged. Time will tell.

I'll be finished with the rinse this weekend, and will be changing to Amsoil 10w30 along with another PureOne filter. I'll report back after the oil change and keep an eye on the leak; but overall I have to say
cheers.gif
that results are as advertised.

If you have a leak (which is possible) run one or two more intervals on conventional oil to give the seal more time to heal.

Are you recommending another ARX treatment, or just to run dino for another change or two?

The "leak" actually is only a darkening of the metal between the engine and trans.

[ February 14, 2006, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: fredjacksonsan ]

It should be OK to use just dino, or you can use the Amsoil and 3-ounce of Auto-Rx, as a maintenance doze. This is to ensure that the methal in your engine stays clean. Cheap insurance.

Update; After about 400 miles on the new oil there is no additional darkening where the seepage seemed to be. Oil level remains at full, where it was after change. Using Amsoil 10w30, and included a 3oz maintenance dose to offset the possibility of synthetic leakage.

The engine is now quite smooth, and I anticipate it will stay that way.

Thanks Frank!!

Excellent review of the product. I'm glad it worked out well.

I remember that oil pressure fluctuation on mine and I did the same thing you did-pulled over and double checked the oil. It tends to be a bit disconcerting.

I use ARX to clean everything. I brush my teeth with it. j/k

The darkest oil I have ever seen... ever... was after an ARX cycle. The particular truck had about 140K-150K and had dino its entire life.

tamu_man,

You should use the 3oz of Auto-Rx at each oil change as a maintenance program I am using this program with dino oil and it keeps the seals from leaking and the sludge away works for me good luck.

Daryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back