watch your MMO dosing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motor oil degrades octane- that's why many old oil burners run so much better on a higher octane gasoline. Could it be that, when too much is added, MMO does the same thing? Just a thought.

Very interesting topic because I've just noticed the exact same thing. A few weeks ago I wrote a post regarding a knocking noise from piston slap in my 2002 Chevy Silverado. I added some MMO to the fuel and about 8 oz to the crank case.

I just got the truck back from the auto body shop yesterday and the knocking noise seems to have gone away. The service manager told me that he drove it on two lunch runs during the week to see if he could hear the knocking noise, but couldn't. Oddly enough the noise seems to have disappeared, however I did notice that the truck only got about 15mph on this last tank of fuel. I usually get about 17mph.

On a related topic, I've been using that cheap STP Fuel Additive found on the WalMart shelf for $3 for a pack of three. I have noticed that my BMW Z3 does seems to have a much smoother idle but the gas mileage has dropped 3-4 mpg and the engine does not seem as peppy as normal.

~Sail

Oh... does anyone know what exactly is in MMO??? It could be Extra Virgin Olive Oil for all we know, or maybe National Bohemian Beer.

;-)

~Sail

Has anyone else experienced what I have???

Put in too much MMO, and your fuel economy drops...

I first noted this after a number of tankfuls of fuel in my BMW early last summer, when the first MMO threads were coming along.

I tried the same in my 04 saab, which has used FP since new, and now has ~17K miles. The last number of tanks, I used MMO, and didnt note a difference or fuel economy increase... though that car is REALLY efficient (I can get just under 40 MPG if I drive light, and the saab is no corolla or civic). I upped the dosing to see what would happen and pow... interstate driving yielded me 28 MPG. A statistically significant decrease.

MMO smoothed the idle in my BMW (no need or room to improve in the saab), and helped MPG slightly, if any. But dosing the BMW too high caused its MPG to drop bad too...

High doses for these purposes range from 6-8oz/10 gal and higher...

So, keep your MMO concs. in the "sweet spot", dont dose too high!

JMH

i just added MMO to my ride for the first time. Decrease of 2mpg...but i also filled up at gas station that i've never used before so i'm curious to see if it's low quality gas...i'll know by next fillup.

I've used MMO almost religiously for years now in my '97 Maxima. If I use about the recommended dosing, I get about 2 mpg better mileage. If I double it (8 oz/10 gals), my mileage drops by about 2 mpg. So I just use a Lucas bottle (5.25 oz) of MMO when I fill up (usually 13-14 gal).
I keep track of my mileage in MS Excel to the nearest hundredth. Although it is never exactly the same because of other factors, it is consistent enough to be able to note trends such as "better" gas, best octane, and impact of additives.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back