Waste of Auto-RX in leaky engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beater car recently developed a nasty leak that leaks out easily about a cup of oil a day throughtout about 70-80 miles of driving. Ive decided to do an Auto-RX treatmeant to see if it will help slow down the leak, but I'm wondering if the auto-rx will just be wasted because the engine leaks so much that the auto-rx would just leak out as well and not be able to have enough time to be effective. I'm curious as what to do. I havent been able to find the exact source of the leak.

thanks

A cup a day is a lot of oil. That much of a leak I can't help but suspect is a bit more than a gasket that needs swelled slightly. I think the only real way to fix that one is to replace whatever gasket is leaking.

4 US cups = 1 US Quart. At that rate you'll burn through a 5 quart oil fill in 20 days of driving.

That DOES sound like a lot of oil. If the leak developed suddenly, I'd agree that it's the seal that has failed (and good job catching it!).

teambeechstreet,

I think I would try and pinpoint your leak before using Auto-Rx by doing this you would eliminate any guess work good luck.

Daryl

thanks for the suggestions. I tore out the driver side axle since the leak seemed to be coming from somewhere above it. still cant pinpoint the darn thing. its driving me insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back