ARX double treatment, wise to do in a 5cyl turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just changed my oil for the ARX rinse cycle with Castrol GTX 5w30 dino. this is the third treatment, and though the car feels better, the inside of the block from the point of view of the oil cap is still 95% oil stained burnt brown. Would it be mechanically safe to do a double treatment of ARX in 5cyl turbo(6qt capacity) after the rinse phase is complete?

'00 Volvo V70 XC, 97k

[ February 11, 2006, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: gr8gatzby ]

Is there a baffle there or something? If there's not regular flow where you are looking arx probably won't remove that deposit. You're absolutely safe running more treatments (just spending a lot of money)!

A little sort of splash shield. Some cars have them under the oil filler cap and they obscure a good look at the valve train.

Hope you enjoy the XC, btw. I've always wanted one but they hold their resale a bit too long!
grin.gif

I am a swede devotee myself but have owned 2 saabs instead. 9-5 wagons can be picked up VERY cheap. Alas, i have the sedan, though...

Anyway, don't sweat running arx. I just started my 2nd rinse cycle myself. It's a neat product. To keep cleaning after you finish your next cycle, you may consider a synthetic with good solvency such as (supposedly) the new Pennzoil Platinum or German Castrol. I've always been a Mobil man myself but a fellow 9-5 owner (who is also a great saab mechanic) ran several changes of M1 5W30 and reported it did nothing to clean deposits out of his engine. That's one reason I decided to try arx to begin with.

There's no baffle sitting over the valve train on the XC motor, you look through the fill neck and see the valve train. Not sure what you're seeing, maybe discoloration of the metal. I haven't read about any one doubling up on the ARX dose if that's what you mean, adding two bottles for a clean cycle. Maybe I misunderstood.

LOL, I don't think I got it either! If you mean ouring more than the recommended dose at once, while I'm sure it's safe, I wouldn't try it. It'd make more sense to just do two more clean/rinse cycles.

gr8gatzby-

You shall rigidly follow Frank's AutoRx cleanse ratio of 2oz per quart of oil, + oil filter (that is accounted for an additional 2oz) so if your crankcase holds 5quarts, that's 10oz+ the oil filter for another 2oz, thus making up to 12 oz (1 full bottle).

do not go beyond that (remember: AutoRx is not a "solvent" type cleaner meaning that more is not merrier"....

Doubling the AutoRx ratio in one shot isn't going to make things quicker/easier. Proper ratio + sufficient cleaning/rinsing mileage travelled is the only way to go.

Q. (*I've used AutoRx on 3 cars with various different age/mileage all with excellent success rate*)

gr8gatzby,

There is nothing to be gained in additional Auto-Rx 2oz per quart is the application amount. Auto-Rx will work in any weight oil good luck.

Daryl

i meant would it be wise to add two bottles to a 6qt capacity engine for a regular ARX clean(not rinse) cycle. would the arx ratio be too high...

I'll bet what you're seeing is varnish staining. Lube Control, another proven product, will safely remove it and prevent any more build-up if used as directed.

I have a 1.8T Passat with the same dirty brown staining you are refering to. I have run 2 Auto-RX clean/rinse cycles. An Amsoil oil change with 1.5x the recommended LC (at appropriate intervals) and a German Castrol 0w-30 oil change with 1.5x the recommended LC (at appropriate intervals) and it has not changed at all over the 19k kilometers that I've owned the car. Sure it'd be nice if it was cleaned but at least it runs great!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back