5W-30 when ARXing an oil burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, thank to all who posted and helped me find a way for my beloved honda to run better without rebuilding the engine.

My car has burned oild since i got it. And I know that it's something that i might not be able to fix without a rebuild.

Having said that, when AutoRxing in the first cleaning stage i used 1 quart of 5w30 and two 10w30 instead of my usual 10w40 with super thick 'motor honey.' And of course, it burned more than usual. That probably was not the best idea.

I've heard many say that any dino oil will work with ARX. But what weight?

I'm thninking my 10w40 with the second cleaning stage. I don't want the ARX'd oil burning out of the engine before the 1500 miles. (maybe even one quart of 15w40 along with)

But now, in my first rinse stage. I think using 5w30 will be fine provided i keep an eye on it. Who cares if i burn off more rinse oil. I'll just top it off with fresh.

skate1968,

It is always good to use what the manufacture recommends.

It does not matter what type of oil you use for the cleaning phase of the Auto-Rx application. However, for maximum results use plain, non-synthetic oil for the “rinse”good luck.

Daryl

Just a thought (not based on sound science). Perhaps a lighter weight oil might "splash around" arx in more places than the thicker oil. Just a thought...

Thanks Daryl,
I use the Haynes/Chilton book as a manual. It lists 10w30 as the lightest weight option.
Hmmmm. It also states that a 20W40 would be fine in temperatures above -5 degrees farenheit.

Brian, I thought the same thing. Furthermore, I imagine that the sludge and carbon bing dissolved by ARX would thicken the oil.

Most manufacturers are fine w/ you using a 5W in place of a 10W. I would think you'd be okay w/ your 5W30. It's all gonna be 30 w at operating temp. Maybe you'll just need another cycle?

thanks brian,

And yes i'm absolutely going to do a second cycle. It's recomended for my car. But i'd do it anyway if it weren't.

I'm going to offer it to my sister in law for her 96 Celica. Why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back