Question about Calcium levels in UOA results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Calcium figures from 10K km runs of Liqui Moly Synthoil 5/40 in my old diesel are odd, the VOA figure is 2586, then:
1st run 2751
2nd 3107
3rd 3150
The top up oil is the same each run at 0.3 ltrs for a 5.6 ltr sump, Blackstone rechecked the 2nd run figure as I asked if the oil might have changed in add pack terms.
Not really sure what to make of those changes, other than LM have added more Ca. Anyone else have a wondering Ca figure?

Last edited:
Hi, I don't think there is a VOA for this oil on here however it looks like they may have increased the Ca levles.

Unless you've run a VOA with the same lab using the same formulation (ideally the same batch) that you're running in your vehicle and using for UOAs, there may be formulation differences, batch differences, and differences between labs. In your case, there's a difference between what you were expecting and what you saw, but it's not ridiculously out of synch.

The Synthoil(and many other LM oils) recently went through a reformulation, IIRC. It's possible they're still using old VOA data.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The Synthoil(and many other LM oils) recently went through a reformulation, IIRC. It's possible they're still using old VOA data.

That's what I was thinking, as the flashpoint also changed at the same time as the Calcium did. LM use base stocks from Fuchs, but make their own additives and there is nothing to say they can't change the formula of any oil.

Originally Posted By: Swissdieselfan
Originally Posted By: dparm

That's what I was thinking, as the flashpoint also changed at the same time as the Calcium did. LM use base stocks from Fuchs, but make their own additives and there is nothing to say they can't change the formula of any oil.

are you sure that Fuchs produces base oil GrIII/IV? And as I know LM does not produce any additive packages for engine oils, only special components which is not recommended by OEMs.

The Synthoil is a true G4 full synthetic and uses base stock from Fuchs. LM have their own chemical plant to produce their additives and I don't think any OEM recommends oil additives at present. They do have some fuel adds with OEM recommendations listed.
The oil for the first UOA was from 2011, the second and third were 2012 oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Swissdieselfan
The Synthoil is a true G4 full synthetic and uses base stock from Fuchs. LM have their own chemical plant to produce their additives and I don't think any OEM recommends oil additives at present. They do have some fuel adds with OEM recommendations listed.
The oil for the first UOA was from 2011, the second and third were 2012 oils.

In Europe, that's true.

The same name is used on a different product in the US that is a Group III oil.

Yes it gets real confusing, as LM have also changed names for some of their synthetic oils in the UK to agree with those in the US. Only Germany seems to be defining the difference and just to confuse matter the term synthetic blend seems to be popular in the US and I have no idea what that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back