What is the best car battery these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on replacing a 4.5 year old OEM group 35 battery in the next 6 mos when I re-tire the car. I don't think the car is very hard on a battery, but the hot climate may be. Ive had good luck with a DieHard Platinum in another vehicle, but that battery was super $$$. Is there a lower cost version available under another name? What is another good battery at maybe half the cost of the Platinum?

If you have a Costco membership, it is tough to beat their price and warranty. 3 year free replacement and 100 month pro-rated. Just bought a 36R out the door for $76. If not use a coupon code for 40% off $100 at Advance for their Gold series.

Not comparable to the Platinum, but good batteries at a lower price.

Walmart Maxx is good. AutoZone. Basically look for a battery where the cell covers have a 45 degree cut for each corner rather than rounded. Those are JCI manufactured batteries. Around here (NY) both Walmart Maxx and AutoZone have JCI batteries. Could be different in other parts of the country. If its a maint free battery harder to tell. But if any of their batteries are JCI chances are they all are.

Avoid Exide as they use an older lead alloy technology that gasses more.

Last edited:
I dont have costco or any other member club cards any more. I try to avoid walmart.

JCI and interstate are ok, avoid exide? The $40 coupon at Advance makes it attractive.

Duralast Gold. They handle the Florida heat and humidity better than any other battery I have used. They are made by Johnson Controls. I have read that Autozone specs the Duralast Gold to be built to stricter and tougher standards than the other store branded JC batteries. The JC Autocraft Silver I had prior to buying my Duralast Gold barely lasted two years. My Duralast Gold is coming up on 4 years old and still doing fine, starts right up every time, even after my truck sits for 3 or days and longer without being driven or started.

These are the three things I look at on the battery. I don't care who makes it.

1. full replacement warranty (does the mfg stand behind the product?)

2. CCA (seen 20% variances among the same "group" battery)

3. reserve time (again seen massive variances)

There are only several battery manufacturers and they provide ther product which can be branded by many retail companies.

Interstate are made by JCI.

Any JCI battery is a pretty decent product as long as the dates are fresh.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
I dont have costco or any other member club cards any more. I try to avoid walmart.

JCI and interstate are ok, avoid exide? The $40 coupon at Advance makes it attractive.

Personally I would stay away from exide. Interstate batteries last longer than most other conventional batteries do in high temp areas.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Duralast Gold. They handle the Florida heat and humidity better than any other battery I have used. They are made by Johnson Controls. I have read that Autozone specs the Duralast Gold to be built to stricter and tougher standards than the other store branded JC batteries. The JC Autocraft Silver I had prior to buying my Duralast Gold barely lasted two years. My Duralast Gold is coming up on 4 years old and still doing fine, starts right up every time, even after my truck sits for 3 or days and longer without being driven or started.

I agree. Plus, in the event the battery needs replacing if you're traveling, Autozones are everywhere. The Duralast Gold is essentially the same top line battery made by Johnson Controls for various retailers.

The best price near me turns out to be Tractor Supply. They have most common batteries (65, 35, 24f, 75, etc) for $60-$80. A 65 with 750cca was only $85.99, which is a [censored] of a lot less than AutoZone or Advance. I think the warranty is only 12 mos.

They are made by Exide, which I know doesn't have the best reputation. I've never had difficulty with an Exide, though.

Best normal battery - Interstate

Best premium - Odyssey AGM by far, although you'll pay handsomely for it. I see it as more of a severe or special service thing.

Originally Posted By: dave munson
Interstate has been rated at the top over the last decade plus. For my ford a interstate costs a bit over one hundred. Double that for a Optima battery and that's it for easily found highest rated batteries. Diehard ain't on the recommended list any more.

Read This - Consumer Reports Batteries 2011

+1
02.gif
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif
19.gif
grin2.gif

Actually I have the CR Nov 2012 battery review in front of me and for size 35 the best buy is Kirkland signature for $60 scoring 77

The top picks with scores are

Bosch premium power score 82
Everstart maxx north scoring 81 but no extended warranty
Duralast gold 79
Napa legend premium 74
Plus start 74
Everstart maxx south 73 no extended warranty
Interstate megatron ii 73
Diehard gold south 73

You're welcome

Ive had quality issues with two walmart maxx batteries. They did replace them no issue.

IMO and many others, the Autocraft Silver battery is the best deal going. Get a discount code, buy it on line, pick it up in store and youre set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back