P0605 - ECM - 2006 F150 Stx

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend had a code on his vehicle P0605 I believe it said ecm read error. No other codes. It's running fine but will he need to replace the ecu and if so is it a simple plug and play or will it need to be programmed? Can you just find a similar ecu or does it have to be exact with year, make, model, options?
It's a 2006 F150 Stx
4wd
4.6 v8
Auto transmission
No anti theft on the vehicle.

Needs to be flashed. If its not replaced it may hamper finding other codes.

Everything 96-up OBDII needs to be flashed.The computer has to reflect the VIN #.Your old 82 Buick Regal V6 with replaceable PROM didnt care what the VIN was,just as long as the PROM was correct for the engine,trans,AC,cruise control,California Emissions...etc.

Check all fuses before replacing the pcm, check fuse F5 7.5 amp in the passenger side kickpanel. If its ok then reprogram the pcm. If its still there replace the pcm, the new one will have to be programmed too.

Assuming the fuse is good, what is the best way to deal with this? Do you buy used ecm from a junkyard or do dealerships sell them new?

In either scenario who would even be able to handle the job if a mechanic did it? Dealership only or any carx etc?

I don't know if the aftermarket has the capability to reprogram the pcm, if they can that would be great. If not a dealer would be needed. You will need at least two keys with the pcm also as they have to be programmed to the pcm and instrument cluster.
I hope it is only a fuse. It also goes to the auto lamps and climate control modules too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back