Shell V Power vs. fuel injector cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would running a couple tanks of Shell V Power be the equivelant to running on a couple tanks and adding Chevron Techron additive which you can purchase at Auto Zone?

no way... techron is a fuel system cleaner concentrate.... v power is watered down marketing!

LOL!

Well that's what I wondered. What I've been doing since my vehicles recommened 87 octane is just run the 87 from either Shell, BP or Mobil, and every 6 months I add a bottle of Chevron/Techron cocentrate. Will this regiment keep my fuel system clean?

I agree...

In fact, I've gone back to using Sunoco 91 in my `06 BMW because it keeps the tailpipe cleaner than with 'top-tier' Shell V-power 91...and is a couple of cents cheaper too since Sunoco needs to push/leave room for their 94. The vehicle is more responsive too...weird...

I agree ^^. The only fuel additive (if you can call it that) that made a CONSIDERABLE difference in the way my car feels was Seafoam through the Brake booster line (not in the tank).

I have run Techron through the gas. Now I use a steady dose of FP60. Can't notice any difference.

The following are Top Tier providers::: QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada

My only question is, will this stuff REALLY keep your fuel system clean enought that you wont have to due a complete fuel system cleaning??? Mechanics left and rigt are trying to sell you on their 80.00 service to have them run chemical through you fuel rails and entire fuel system.

Techron not Chevron Progard works for me.
I don't think the economics work to run
hi octane gas that has higher levels of the
fuel intake cleaner additives. And I don' think two tanks of any fuel would do jack for your intake.

In CA Chevron has a higher percentage of techron
in its premimum fuel but $7 every 300O or 6000 miles for a techron 12 gal dose is less than the $30-60 you'd pay to get higher level additives using premium fuel.

The toptier gas is a start.

Regardless, you should still run a quality FI cleaner several times a year. And, unless you have performance loss, then avoid mechanics trying to sell you something.

another thing to look at is if a vehicle has enough fuel injector deposits to affect the way it runs is to replace the fuel filter. I did that & am running a heavy dose of FP every tank, made the diference of starting right away vs cranking for 10+ seconds.

quote:

Would running a couple tanks of Shell V Power be the equivelant to running on a couple tanks and adding Chevron Techron additive which you can purchase at Auto Zone?

No.

One of the major problems I had with my 2001 Taurus that was purchased in spring of 2005 were fuel system deposits. These deposits caused startup and performance problems. Evidently, the previous owner bought the cheapest gasoline available.

The resolution to this problem was to run a tank of Gumout Regane, followed by continous use of Shell V-Power. V-Power is the only fuel that has been used in the Taurus since July 2005 and it shows in now excellent startup and performance characteristics that rival that of a new car.

A short-term solution such as one or two tanks of V-Power or similar fuels such as BP/Amoco Ultimate will not work. If your problems are as serious as mine were, you should take a long-range view of the problem. Realistically, V-power pricing is relatively cheap as there is only a small percentage price difference between it and 87 octane fuel.

Shell marketing of this fuel is not hype, IMO. It's fact.

Is it accurate to say SHell V-Power has MORE cleaning agent in it? Reading fine print several years ago, it was apparent many of the companies simply Over-Advertise thier premium octane fuel, while all grades had the same cleaning material in them at the same concentration. Has Shell changed so that they actually have a higher cleaning additive level in their premium, or, is it just the same old ad campaign?

IMO most oils companies vary the cleaning additive in gas with the octane. At least Chevron adds more techron to its premium and less to regular. I understood the same for Shell VPower. Chevron's done it as long as its had techron.

quote:

Is it accurate to say SHell V-Power has MORE cleaning agent in it? Reading fine print several years ago, it was apparent many of the companies simply Over-Advertise thier premium octane fuel, while all grades had the same cleaning material in them at the same concentration. Has Shell changed so that they actually have a higher cleaning additive level in their premium, or, is it just the same old ad campaign?

The following is cut and paste directly from V-Power section of Shell web site:

"Shell V-Power®. Actively cleans for better performance.

On today’s tough, demanding roads, performance is what counts. At Shell, we believe all great performances begin with a clean engine. Shell V-Power® premium gasoline can clean up deposits on intake valves and fuel injectors left behind by low detergent gasolines. That’s because it contains more than five times the amount of cleaning agents required by government standards. Shell V-Power is also recommended for vehicles that can benefit from higher octane (check your owner's manual for the octane level recommended for your vehicle.) Try Shell V-Power. It actively cleans for better performance.

Shell regular and mid-grade gasolines contain more than twice the amount of detergents required by the EPA. This level of protection helps prevent the future build-up of carbon deposits on your vehicle’s intake valves or fuel injectors. However, if you use discount gasolines, you may already have intake valve or fuel injector deposits, which may need to be cleaned up. That is where Shell V-Power® comes in."

From today's On-Site Mechanic at The Car Connection:

quote:

Adding the additive

Q--I have recently heard a lot of complaints about drivers having to have the fuel injectors and throttle bodies of their car engines cleaned by dealers and garages because of poor engine performance. Would you recommend for an additive to the gas tank every so often or a brand of gasoline that has additives to clean the injectors? I have heard that some brands are great for keeping the injectors clean while others are very poor in this area.

A--You are not the only one concerned about keeping fuel injectors clean; at least four carmakers have set standards for detergent additives above and beyond the minimum EPA requirement. Some brands do indeed have more additives than others. You may wish to use a "top tier" gasoline, but if you prefer to buy bargain basement gas, it won't hurt to pour a fuel injector additive in the tank occasionally when you fill up.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Ent...On-Site_Mechanic_Feb_10_2005.S209.A10008.html

I'm with you, Iain. Considering that V-Power is only 5%-10% more expensive than regular, it's increase in cost is really only marginal-and for me it's cheaper than adding Techron 3-4 times per year.

I used to think that charging an extra 20% for premium was a rip-off when gas was a buck a gallon. Now, my gas bills are so high that using premium doesn't make a dent!

I'm only 33 and I'm already wishing for the good old days like when I got my driver's license-my first fill up was for $0.69/gallon!

Oh well-

Fitz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back