Older Snapper lawn mowers any good???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been checking the local CL for a spare mower. I see the usual Honda/toro etc. I seee quite a few older looking snappers. I am looking for a something self propelled.

I have never had experience with snapper mowers. Are the older ones any good? any problems to look for when viewing one?

Originally Posted By: expat
Good old work horses, just check that the antique B&S has some life left in it.

Are there no modern engines with the same footprint available? Id think a replacement should be doable...

Some are, some aren't. The garage sales are very competitive in So Cal. Several years back I tried many and still ended up with a King-O-Lawn reel mower that was a lemon. You should know how to rebuild them so you'll know where to look for issues.

I have an "old" Snapper Hi-Vac with a Kawasaki engine, that I love. I bought it new in 1995 or so.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Actually most all old mowers if in good condition are better than their newer counterparts. IMO.

Very true. I had two push mowers come in this week that I tuned up. One was a 20+ year old mower the other one was 3 year old cheapie. Both had Briggs 3.5HP flathead engines that ran fine, but on the newer one the deck was starting to rust already and the wheels were loose.

The same goes for riding mowers. I dismantled a 2006 Troy-Built tractor that had a bad transmission. I saved the engine and other good parts. I was surprised how flimsy the machine was, and how even though it was stored indoors, it was totally junk after 6 years. The mower decks don't even come with greaseable spindles anymore, and the new spindles seize after a few years. Such a waste IMO.

Those old snappers are built like tanks. Mine is a 78 model with the cast aluminum deck, which looks like a hi-vac, but isn't, but i'm still very pleased with the way it cuts. I like the simplicity of the drive system too and how well it works, though some owners have complained about the differential when using them on hills and slopes. If you can find one with the Wisconsin Robin 2 stroke, or 4 stroke, those are the more desirable ones to have, but those old Briggs engines are very simple to work on and pretty reliable as well. There were some commercial models built with Honda engines as well, but are very hard to find. Newer commercial models could be had with a Kawasaki engine

Those old Snappers like Forrest Gump uses in the movie , those things will pretty much run forever and are very simple mechanically . Rust in the deck would be the biggest issue .
Replacement engine not an issue , a B&S short block will have it like new .

So in other words, when I'm in the market to buy a riding lawnmower - buy an old one, and be prepared to spend a few bucks refurbishing it, in order to enjoy a lifetime of trouble-free service? Got it. Sounds like how I buy my cars
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KenO
So in other words, when I'm in the market to buy a riding lawnmower - buy an old one, and be prepared to spend a few bucks refurbishing it, in order to enjoy a lifetime of trouble-free service? Got it. Sounds like how I buy my cars
smile.gif

The alternative is to buy a new one and throw it away every few years because it is such a piece of junk. Pay your money - take your choice!

I find I get my cars all fixed up just in time for them to die!

Originally Posted By: KenO
smile.gif

We scrapped a Snapper rear engine rider last year that my grandpa bought back in the 60's. Had 4 motors on it over it's life. He, my uncles and me and my cousin used to it mow at least 20 yards every summer. He did eventually buy a newer Snapper with 33 inch deck in 96 and the older one was kept as backup. It was in such bad shape it was dangerous.. not much to save or I would of.

Last edited:
I just found the model number on mine, CP21400R2, indicating that it is from about 1993-1994. I figured with how tight this mower still is that it was maybe 5-10 years old. Wisconsin Robin 2 cycle engine. From what the PO's son said it was never used commercially, just his dads small yard.

I wanted a dedicated bagging mower with high lift and always wanted a 2 cycle mower so i jumped on this. I didn't know it was as old as my house at the time. its great for bagging, but it sucks everything up. Fills bags fast, kicks up dust, ect.

I'd probably buy another one if i got the chance just for hobby/collecting purposes.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
what do u guys think of this one?

Fair price??

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/grd/3801474201.html

If it runs good without issues that's a good deal, new comparable is over $600... That said I'm not a fan of the Tecumseh engines, they either seem to be good or lousy...

I have three with the newest being 1987... The Honda powered was built by myself a couple years ago using three Snappers and the engine from a late Craftsman front driver... One of those parts mowers was a 1982 model with Tecumseh engine that appeared same as the CL ad...

Suspect you can guess I won't use anything else...

threesnappers.jpg

dareo, yours looks like low-use.
Mine's a few years newer and I've worn out the treads on the original wheels. Now on a 2nd set of wheels, and my yard's not big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back