Upper cylinder lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
More or less, they are supposed to (help) clean and keep clean the fuel injectors, rings, valves, etc.

I'm finding that that particular brand is real good at setting off my CEL in the 96 Honda with a too rich mixture/Cat/O2 sensor code. It's either really cleaning something or just setting off the 02 sensor by sticking around in the system. I am also thinking that in this first year of OBDII that this model was set particularly over-sensitive to this.

But after the first tank/half bottle the next tank gave me a 26.5 mi gal on 87 Shell gas in mixed hwy/rush hour snarl traffic at 300 mi.
But this is also 750 mi. into an ARx clean pahse as well, so it may be that , of the combo.
Previous mpg range from 21 -24 in same conditions. Present tank put 2/3 of the rest of the bottle in the tank and think the milage will be worse again and the CEL set off again. but we will see. I vote for it is working on 65k mi of crud from the PO consistently using crappy gas.

it helps reduce washdown and wear in the upper cylinder, and keeps the fuel system lubed. generally it is used on vehicles that use alky as a fuel.

[ February 07, 2006, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: racer12306 ]

I'm using Lucas UCL at every fillup...maybe 2 or 3 oz for 10 gallons. Sometimes I add a dash of FP60 in there as well and if I'm feeling sorta frisky I may even spritz some MMO in also!
wink.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

I also use Lucas UCL about every other fillup and just got a very good UOA. M1 5W-30 SS 4830miles 4Runner Part.count

I use MMO at double the recommended dose
religiously. Good stuff. really keeps the upper
end clean. I have never had a fuel injector
of fuel pump problem since.

Seafoam is an UCL, straight from their website:

When Added to Fuel Tank:
Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
Cleans carbon as you drive
Lubricates upper cylinders
De-ices and removes moisture
Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
Stabilizes fuel

Lubrigas and good ol' 2-stroke oil are also UCL's.

Use whatever you want or just alternate between the brands. Don't bother wasting money with double dosing. Read the directions on the bottle and use it as such.

ditto the mpg claim. Both my lumina and santa fe have responded to the lucas 2 oz per 15 gallons treatment. I also add 3 oz acetone. Costs about 35 cents a fillup and i have been getting 27 mpg with santa fe compared to 24 and 29 compared to 25-26 with lumina. Also Santa Fe does not have the sticky/hesitant accelerator feeling. Lumina is a 97 Sante is a 2001. Just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back