High Mileage Jeep's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, Happy Mothers Day! Currently helping a friend look for a vehicle, and he's been looking at older (1999-2004) Grand Cherokee's. His budget is really low but he wants a 4WD for winter. Most have 150K plus miles. He wants the 4.7L if possible because he read that the transmission paired with the V8 is better and stronger. One specifically he's looking at is a 2000 Laredo 4.7L with 178K. How are these with higher miles? Thanks!

Jeeps have a very high operating cost.

If your friend is on a budget, he would be better off with something else.

Agree with both posts above. Jeeps generally do like their maintenance so if he wants something with that mileage and won't or can't do the mx, then he should look elsewhere. But that said, I've had (knock on wood) no issues in my current GC and only replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor on my previous one.

The 4.7 is a good motor, but a prone to sludging so he should watch for that, especially at higher mileage.

The trans behind the V8 is stronger then the one behind the I6, but since I've had more than one of the I6/4spd combos I know they hold up well with regular fluid changes. I can't speak for the longevity of the V8's transmission, only what I've read online. But my previous GC had over 155k on it when traded, and shifted like it did at 50k when I got it. My current GC I've had since 18k and it shifts the same also. Both had pan drops/fluid and filter change every 30k or so.

The 4.0 is fairly bulletproof (stay away from this engine in the 99-01 range though, search "0331 head" to find out more) and will normally outlast the rest of the vehicle; I'm partial to this engine since I've had two in GCs, and two more in Cherokee and a Wrangler, and never a problem between them all in over 350k miles. I haven't owned the 4.7.

Good choice for a winter vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Agree with both posts above. Jeeps generally do like their maintenance so if he wants something with that mileage and won't or can't do the mx, then he should look elsewhere. But that said, I've had (knock on wood) no issues in my current GC and only replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor on my previous one.

The 4.7 is a good motor, but a prone to sludging so he should watch for that, especially at higher mileage.

The trans behind the V8 is stronger then the one behind the I6, but since I've had more than one of the I6/4spd combos I know they hold up well with regular fluid changes. I can't speak for the longevity of the V8's transmission, only what I've read online. But my previous GC had over 155k on it when traded, and shifted like it did at 50k when I got it. My current GC I've had since 18k and it shifts the same also. Both had pan drops/fluid and filter change every 30k or so.

The 4.0 is fairly bulletproof (stay away from this engine in the 99-01 range though, search "0331 head" to find out more) and will normally outlast the rest of the vehicle; I'm partial to this engine since I've had two in GCs, and two more in Cherokee and a Wrangler, and never a problem between them all in over 350k miles. I haven't owned the 4.7.

Good choice for a winter vehicle.

I think he will be able to afford the maintenance with no problem, as long as its just regular routine stuff.

Jeep and than high mileage and on a budget...yeah look for something else. Why does he want a jeep? 4.7 v8, isnt exactly budget when it comes to gas or repairs..

Very high cost.The steering is always an issue,the brakes are troublesome,body rust,electronics....etc. Of course you could say the same thing about TrailBlazer,S10 Blazer,Explorer.... is an SUV the answer for everything? No. A crossover or minivan (FWD or AWD) is an acceptable substitute,in my opinion.

If its a budget I'd go FWD. with the most aggressive winter tires. Or a Subaru. With winter tires, again. Everything else will cost more, on purchase price or running cost.

I suppose you could do a crossover, but the older awd systems don't seem to be as good as a part time system. But they might cost less in running costs.

As long as it's taken care of, a 4.7 WJ should be pretty reliable. They don't like long OCIs, clogged PCVs or overheating, but if those are avoided, they hold up well.

My older GC has been pretty good. I've done a good bit of work to it, but a lot of it's been upgrades, not repairs. My original trans is still going at almost 150k with quite a bit of abuse. The thing is holding up really well rust-wise and hasn't had many issues at all. As far as actual repairs, I've replaced the starter, rebuilt the alternator, replaced sway bar bushings and end links, replaced the radiator and a few other things here and there.

It's never failed to get me home, save for when the starter died in the parking lot at work (and it started once it sat overnight, so I could still drive it home and didn't have to tow it or fix it there).

It's not that GCs are unreliable, but they are an expensive vehicle to operate and maintain - much like any 4wd body on frame SUV. Fuel mileage is lousy, and there is just more to break on them. At 180k miles you're at the point where everything is pretty much well used up and can break at any time.

If you're on a budget and using this as your primary method of transportation, there are smarter vehicles to be looking at.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
...The steering is always an issue,the brakes are troublesome,body rust,electronics....etc...

Never had one issue with any of these items. Nor have I had a problem with the blend doors.

WJ GCs can go for many miles, but will have many body problems along the way.

My friend who owns a high mileage Liberty previously had a high mileage '99 or '00 4.0 I6 WJ. The engine never had problems in 250K miles, I don't think the trans did either. Most everything else did. It was totaled in a minor parking lot accident.

Another friend of mine had an '03 4.7 and I remember the weatherstripping falling off the rear door sills when it was only a couple years old. It did have high miles for its age (135K), but still, it seems like the build quality/body durability is the weak point on these.

I hope you have time to sift through 165 pages of complaints and pass it along to your friend. LINK

I was also looking for a HM Jeep but I am instead looking at Subarus. Sub's have their quirks too and are not Toyota's or Honda's but they get the job done in a more efficient manner IMO.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Many problems with the blend doors. Plan on $1k every time they break.

Blend doors are only an issue on 99 - 04 Limiteds (limiteds have auto climate, the laredos with manual climate are immune to the issue). And when they break, there's a fix out there that resolves the issue permanently. And people have found workarounds to make the fix easier and cheaper.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
4wd body on frame SUV.

Grand Cherokees are unibody.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back