fuel system cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a post by TonyMazz a while back, he quoted something from GM saying:
"Harmful Ideas That May Damage Your Vehicle and Increase Emissions
One more recent poor idea to improve fuel economy that should not be attempted is to blend either kerosene or diesel fuel into gasoline. Why? Both kerosene and diesel fuel are distillate fuels meant for use in compression ignition engines, not spark ignition engines. They have very low octane and since they are heavier (higher density) than gasoline, they will cause heavy engine deposits and degradation of engine oil."

Well, I use valvoline maxlife fule system cleaner, and have do so for quite sometime. Has this use been harming my 2002 GM Sonoma? I thought I was doing good by cleaning it out and the maxlife fuel cleaner is mainly kerosene.

Thanks.

Harmful, I doubt it.
Beneficial, maybe maybe not depending on what you expect from it.

Try some of the other brands of FI products.

I was just wondering because GM says kerosene can be more harmfull the helpfull. But GM also says to use their fuel system cleaner and I am trying to get ahold of a MSDS for that.
Ive used gumout/stp/maxlife FS cleaners for years with no apparent side effects and just learned GM says not to use them.

schwartr88,
By providing the warning, I think GM might be trying to protect against all the harmful fuel cleaners that might be used in their products.

A few years ago, I regularly used STP Fuel Injector cleanor according to the directions. I moved on to Amsoil PI because I liked the idea of preventing the deposits from even forming in my fuel system in the first place.

Now I use Fuel Power(FP60). Since you already recognize the value of using fuel system cleaners in an automobile, please consider using Fuel Power. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back