Ammo for AR-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine looking for ammo for an AR-15 semi-automatic. Also PS90. He says he has scoured the internet but no luck so far. Anyone know where he can find any ammo for these guns. Thanks.

I assume he is looking for .223? Good luck. It is very hit and miss at stores all through PA. If you are not there when they put it out, it is gone in 10 minutes. So is .308, any rimfire, 9mm, .357, 44 mag. The local WalMart guy told me they don't even order .22 anymore as none ever comes in. Just "Backordered " printed on the form.

Very spotty but have seen it here at Wal-Mart or Academy Sports - Outdoors. ***** may have it once in awhile too.

You just need to be in line early the day that the ammo is stocked and hope for the best.

Academy Sports has been the best bet.

Talk with the folks in the store and find out the best day to try and get some.

Lines form well before the stores are open on the days ammo is stocked.

As far as the Internet goes you may find some range ammo at the following site.

Link to web site.

Its hard for me to believe the ammo companies, not just Winchester, Federal and Remington, but all the foreign manufacturers like Fiochi and Wolf, cant keep up with the demand. I think the ammo makers are purposely slowing down the delivery of ammo to get higher prices. I understand there is a lot of hoarding going on, but really what do they do in a war. We never ran low in WW II and they have much higher production methods now.

Its a shame that this is going on. I like to see people get out, take their kids plinking. I really think some of these hoarders are being insane. Really, you have a 1000 rounds for a gun. You are good. The way I look at it, you are not going to go thru a 1000 rounds defending your right to keep and bear arms. Did anyone who hoards over a 1000 rounds actually shoot a 1000 rounds, it takes awhile. Although I will defend your right to keep as much ammo as you want, I just think you are insane.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Did anyone who hoards over a 1000 rounds actually shoot a 1000 rounds, it takes awhile.

It depends on what you are doing with it. We hunt prairie dogs and you can easily pop 1000 rounds in 2 days.

I can far out shoot my ability to restock ammo in these times, therefore I buy ammo and stock my shelves when I can. It's not at all uncommon to shoot 200 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of .45 ACP in one day.

I walked in 15 minutes after a guy walked out of the local gun store with 20 boxes of the FN 5.7.

He paid $50 a box in the store (box of 20 or 50 I didn't ask).
He paid for it as soon as he saw it as the next cheapest price he could find online is $100 a box.

Ammunition is extremely scarce these days.

The Local Gun Store was getting calls from SWAT teams that operated almost 100 miles away looking for anything in .308 and anything .223
The Gun Store personnel told the SWAT guys what they tell everyone.
"They have one guy who scours the Internet all day looking for ammunition. If he finds any of it he will buy it."

Except for off calibers, like 7mm Mauser, 6.5mm Swede, .270 Winchester, and .243 Winchester, and 12 Gauge bird shot, they were totally out of ammunition.

Regardless of how you slice it. America is running scared.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I can far out shoot my ability to restock ammo in these times, therefore I buy ammo and stock my shelves when I can. It's not at all uncommon to shoot 200 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of .45 ACP in one day.

+1 I only go to the range when I can find ammo. I have not seen .22 WMR or .44 magnum in months. Only recently have I found .30 Carbine and some .223/5.56, and .45 ACP is still hard to come by. My range time has been down becuase of this.

Anyone wanting ammo these days must be adaptable, inventive, and persistant. Mostly persistant.

I've managed to gather up about 2k rounds each for .40, .45, and 9mm since Jan.1. It wasn't easy, and I only mildly over paid for it.

A LOT of new guns requiring ammo, a lot of ammo forts being built, and a lot of rounds down range to prove the new guns. This is going to be a problem well into the next presidents tenure. (edit for RSP; mod).

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hard for me to believe the ammo companies, not just Winchester, Federal and Remington, but all the foreign manufacturers like Fiochi and Wolf, cant keep up with the demand. I think the ammo makers are purposely slowing down the delivery of ammo to get higher prices. I understand there is a lot of hoarding going on, but really what do they do in a war. We never ran low in WW II and they have much higher production methods now.
Ammo companies are set up to produce ammo at a normal rate. When you get millions who never buy ammo now wanting to stockpile, and of course the people who do shoot a lot buying even more than they usually do, you have a lot of problems. Ammo companies aren't going to spend millions to expand production to meet short term panic demands. In a few months the shelves will be stacked up and plenty of the fools who paid gouge money to build up a stockpile will be selling off their stack because "you can get ammo everywhere, no need to stockpile." This has repeated several times over the past 20 years, people just never learn. When WM gets in more Colts for $1097 I'm picking up a couple to supply the foolish for $2500 each. I expect the next panic very soon. If I'm wrong I have a couple extra nice ARs.

it`s simple really.they cant get us to give up our guns willingly, so they just go the back door route and make the ammo hard to get.after all, a weapon is pretty useless with out anything in them.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
it`s simple really.they cant get us to give up our guns willingly, so they just go the back door route and make the ammo hard to get.after all, a weapon is pretty useless with out anything in them.
I don't think there is a "they" in this deal. It's a we. No one forced anyone to wait until a common product was unavailable to decide to stock up.

I Agree with Hatt. Guns and ammo, as rediculas as it seems, is being treated like a comodity. Its like Gold right now and people who dont even shoot guns never bought one in their lives are out there buying whatever in a frenzy. Most will never even shoot the guns and after their wives get sick of looking at it, they will sell them and the ammo at tremendous loss. I was a Federal Firearms dealler in the late 80s and the deals on guns and ammo form overseas was crazy. Clinton closed it down and ammo and guns prices in the United States went up. All we need is a President to open up that trade again and we will be swimming in ammo. I was buying 9mm from Egypt for $2.00 a bbox and P-38 with Swastika's still intact from Russia for $139. I sure miss those days. And where did all the SKS's go. They were $69 a piece and ever body had crates full of them. Where are they all at, I never see one.

I Agree with Hatt. Guns and ammo, as rediculas as it seems, is being treated like a comodity. Its like Gold right now and people who dont even shoot guns never bought one in their lives are out there buying whatever in a frenzy. Most will never even shoot the guns and after their wives get sick of looking at it, they will sell them and the ammo at tremendous loss. I was a Federal Firearms dealler in the late 80s and the deals on guns and ammo form overseas was crazy. Clinton closed it down and ammo and guns prices in the United States went up. All we need is a President to open up that trade again and we will be swimming in ammo. I was buying 9mm from Egypt for $2.00 a bbox and P-38 with Swastika's still intact from Russia for $139. I sure miss those days. And where did all the SKS's go. They were $69 a piece and ever body had crates full of them. Where are they all at, I never see one.

Well that sure a [censored] isn't going to happen with this one! Don't you guy`s understand that the UN wants us to be dis armed? We don't live in the times we used to here people. And the sooner we all recognize this, the better off we will all be.

Although I'm suffering as much, if not more, than everyone else during this ammo shortage, I find it's poetic justice to the folks responsible for it to begin with....they talked of more stringent gun control and people went wild. The POTUS is responsible for more guns and ammo sold than anyone in history....I hope he's proud because their "plan" certainly backfired. Firearms sales are at record levels, ammo is almost impossible to find in any large qualtities, and people without any firearm familiarization skills are purchasing firearms.

I actually witnessed a guy at GM last Saturday argue with the clerk because he didn't want the "big" box of ammo the clerk was trying to sell him....he wanted the "small" box in his hand. I guess to the naked eye it may have been tough to see the difference.....he was buying a Mossgerg 500 12 gauge and was holding a box of .17HMR.....the irony of the arguement is the 12 gauge ammo was much cheaper than the .17HMR but he "didn't want a lot of bullets laying around the house". I hope he bought the .17 so we don't have to worry about him EVER loading the Mossberg. Maybe he should try to load it and send it back to Mossberg because the "boolits" keep falling out of it.

Bought a 1000 round box of Federal .223 ammo this morning at Academy Sports now for finding a little range time.

Got a 50 round box of .115 gr 9MM too.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Bought a 1000 round box of Federal .223 ammo this morning at Academy Sports now for finding a little range time.

Got a 50 round box of .115 gr 9MM too.

Nice to see it **starting** to creep back into places.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Well that sure a [censored] isn't going to happen with this one! Don't you guy`s understand that the UN wants us to be dis armed? We don't live in the times we used to here people. And the sooner we all recognize this, the better off we will all be.

And just how would the UN do that? First off, the UN couldn't do much without us. Second, the US is one of 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council. What that means that the US has veto power. Which means that even if the majority of the Big Five and the non-permanent members can come up with the needed majority, it isn't going to fly.

And, SCOTUS recognizes no authority over it. (Which is why we do not recognize the ICC>) It would take a Constitutional Amendment to repeal the 2nd, or any other amendment for that matter. And the UN has no power to do that.

Oh, by the way, except for matters of budget, resolutions passed by the General Assembly are *not* binding. So even if they would vote 100% to take away our guns, it is not binding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back