old pennzoil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What can anyone tell me about this oil ? Why does it have 2 W weights ? How old could it be ? Was it a good oil ?

Old. SE hasn't been used in engines since 1979 so it predates that.

Shake it up and put it in your mower.

The two W ratings must be old school nomenclature, since it's either a 10W-40 or a 20W-40. It can't be both, unless this was the blender's way of showing compatability with the requirement of straight twenty grades for cold weather in really old engines.
Are you sure this is Pennzoil?
Those do look more like Valvoline cans.
Anyway, I'd use it in a side valve mower without hesitation and I'd probably use it to top off a quart in something that uses oil, but I don't think I'd use it in anything modern.

My 1971 Alfa Romeo's owner's manual calls for AGIP 20W-40, or Esso 10W-20W-40, or Shell 10W-30. The first two are obsolete grades, with the second being supplanted by 10W-40. Presumably one would select a motor oil grade based on ambient temperature, but this is not stated in the manual. What is stated is that the oil pressure with "hot engine running fast" should be 50 to 70 psi and "hot engine idling" should be 7 to 14 psi. I find that Chevron Delo 15W-40 works well in this old car in this location.

Sorry it is a Valvoline. The 2 W's got my attention, never saw that on a can before.In the last sets of letters don't the C's mean for diesel engines ?

Last edited:
Yes, the CA, CB, and CC are diesel oil ratings.

CC - not suitable for diesel engines built after 1990.
CB - not suitable for diesel engines built after 1961.
CA - not suitable for diesel engines built after 1959.

Yes the CA CB & CC were for non turbo diesel engines , mostly light duty.
Now.... just where are you finding these old cans ?

Originally Posted By: skellyman
Yes the CA CB & CC were for non turbo diesel engines , mostly light duty.
Now.... just where are you finding these old cans ?

Thanks, I thought the CC had something to do with diesel engines. They are on ebay.

sell it on e-bay for big bucks.. people collect that stuff.. lol
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back