SX-UP or VSOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I am looking for a nice oil supplement to boost the oils we use here on our farm and in our personal vehicles.

I would like to be able to add say an oz per qt to the regular oil in everything from our TDI to our lawnmower to our farm tractors to my Dodge Cummins.

I have been looking at all the info I can find, just wondering if you guys thought SX-UP would be better or if I should look at the VSOT?

I have been looking for VSOT everywhere around here and can't find it, but I can order SX-UP right here from the comfort of my home. I might be able to find VSOT online too if I tried.

Thanks.

If you have a Big Lots near you, look for the CD-2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost
 -

It is only $1.99 and should be fine for what you need. It isn't as thick as VSOT and is half the price.

And abut 4500 ppm zddp in the CD2 SLHPOB stuff.
smile.gif
Half a bottle would give you more zddp than VSOT. VSOT does have other goodies though.

so if the cd-2 is not as thick would the assertion be made that for the cold winter starts here in wi it would be better than VSOT? Do not know about the sx-up compared to these two. I alread do the 132 schaeffers for the best source of antimony but maybe it is thicker than cd-2 also. Too many choices.

The CD-2 stuff is about 28 cSt @ 100C.
The VSOT is about 80-100 cSt.
The 132 is around 220 cSt.
I think SX-UP is around normal oil viscosity IIRC.

If you are only using one ounce per quart VSOT, I don't think you would have cold start issues. Ask a Valvoline rep.

Okay so anyways, I had already reviewed which products I was interested in, and while I appreciate you guys throwing out the suggestions I prefer we keep it limited to these two products if possible. I would be interested as well I guess in how the Schaeffers product stacks up against them as well if you think it packs as much or more punch. I don't just want ZDDP...would like some other goodies too. My HDEOs already have a good ZDDP punch to them for the most part.

Thanks.

i do not know if you have carquest but they will order the vsot in six packs.

schaeffer's adds antimony that is what is unique about it (i think, molakule is expert)

SX-UP for your climate in the Winter. Do you run a standard oil for all your vehicles? If you run a 15-40 in everything the SX-UP gets another vote. If you run a 10-30 the VSOT might be nice in the Summer.

Thank you for someone addressing my concern.

All of our vehicles except lawn mower and 4 wheeler are diesel. I run 15w-40 in everything when it is warm, except for 5w-40 in the TDI year round. When it is cold I run 5w-40 in the Cummins and PSD and 10w-30 HDEO in 2 tractor applications. Everything is HDEO.

Why not just buy good oil in the first place? Any top quality oil, and most mediocre quality oils, do not need any additive. Buy the quality of oil and viscosity your engines need.

Ken

Ken2 - What is the matter with you? We are all smarter than the 1,000 chemists at the oil compainies. We can add $2.49 of some "miracle" additive and make the oil much better. The fact that we have no idea what we are doing will not hold us back - we will make progress at all cost!

Politics are even played in Large Oil Companys and Uncle Sam puts the pressure on them to conform.

Miracles still happen and I appreciate folks like Molacule, TallPaul, and so many others.

Heck, how many folks thought synthetics were good in the 70's...only a few...now all the Oil Companys are following suit...Hey...what's the next great lube going to be??????

Ugly3, point taken ,DEPENDING on who "WE" is consider; On BITOG we have,

Molakule may be the finest synthetic lubricant formulation chemist I know.

Rick21 is the best CP and ester formulating chemist I know.

Bruce381 is a well thought of lube formulator that contributes generously.

Many others post and lurk here and call baloney when we see stupid stuff being promoted as science.

Agreed, just willy nilly adding stuff is stupid and potentially damaging to the vehicle.

However there is plenty of advanced thinking here that has been shared for free for the common good.

Trust me when I say that major lube companies are hamstrung by market forces that many of the contributors like those mentioned above contribute freely ,openly, kindly.

For those of you that do not know what you are talking about be careful posting quite so freely.. Just confuses the issue and takes BITOG quality of info down a notch or two.

If you are adding anything to your fuel or fully formulated lubricant PLEASE analyze the oil or you are just guessing.

Terry

I am just looking to beef up the FM and AW content of the oils I am currently using, mainly on older engines that need it. Also some of these older engines need help in abating oil consumption and blowby. The "top quality oil" I am using now is getting burned off in some cases, and lacks some of the add pack beef that the oils had when these engines were made. Many of the new off the shelf oils don't have near the add pack that the spec'd oil did, albeit they do have a markedly better base oil I presume.

I might consider throwing this stuff in my new Cummins or in the TDI, etc but want to watch it with UOA and see if it helps. Mainly, it is going in my lawnmowers, tractors, and older highway vehicles to address particular issues.

my 2 cents:
I have had good results with both. Use VSOT if you need the increased viscosity, SX if you don't. And I completely agree with Terry, without analysis, your just guessing.

quote:

For those of you that do not know what you are talking about be careful posting quite so freely.. Just confuses the issue and takes BITOG quality of info down a notch or two.

If you are adding anything to your fuel or fully formulated lubricant PLEASE analyze the oil or you are just guessing.

Terry introduces two excellent points very diplomatically I might add. I think most people here have a willingness to help others with their questions, but they are just armchair tribologists......me included. There is a unspoken law at least on the major Apple discussion boards that say don't advise anyone on an issue unless you would be willing to do that to your own computer.

Here, it might be, don't advise anyone on anything unless you would do that to your own car or engine. I feel thinking about a response to someone's question before posting can only be a good idea. I will surely try and follow my own advise.

I always consider the source with respect to credible advice here. It doesn't take long for people here to know who to listen to, and who to dismiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back