Thining VSOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 2 bottles of VSOT at Murrys while in Michigan last month. I will be using it in one of my cars and would like to thin it to make it easier to meter out 1 or 2 oz. quanities. On the shelf I have MMO, ATF Dextron III, ATF+3 and ATF +4. Or, I could buy a quart of 5/20 at W/M.

I welcome any thoughts/recomendations.

OBTW; this will be used in my sons' 94 GC 3.3 with 201K miles on it.

Wayne in Clt.

I've never used VSOT, mostly because I haven't looked for it on the shelves yet, but wouldn't setting it in a sink of hot(not hot enough to melt the plastic)water for about 15 minutes make it thin enough to work with? I've tried that other day when I realized it was taking about 5 minutes for a 20 degree synthetic 75w-90 gear oil to flow down the 1/4" tubing of a funnel.

MN Driver has the right idea. Just put the bottle in the sink with some warm water for 15 minutes. It should pour out of the bottle just fine.

Then you can roughly measure 1/2 to 1 oz per quart of engine capacity, and pour that into a quart of the oil you intend to use. I wouldn't mix it with anything other than the oil you intend to use. Nothing to it.

Have fun.

Use the measurement increments on the side of a quart oil bottle to measure the VSOT. Start with half a quart of oil, add the VSOT, and shake well.

I'm not sure that meaurement of yours is correct Paul.

Seems to me, the VSOT weighs more than normal oil & one ounce placed in a half-quart of say... 5W-30 might raise that clear eye-glass ounce reading on the side of the quart bottle almost two ounces.

I heated the full VSOT bottle -- then poured 7.5oz into an empty quart bottle -- then 16oz of oil & shook it like a milkshake at Dairy Queen before pouring.

Four out of five vehicles at my residence use 4.5 quarts in the crankcase. That's why I added 16 oz (half-quart) in that VSOT-mix. I ended up being a tad overfill with the VSOT added to 4.5 quarts... but really no big deal.

I bought a cheap mixing cup and poured 4oz of VSOT in it. Then down a funnel into the crankcase.

Seemed pretty simple to do?
dunno.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

The best bet would be to get three small clear plastic bottles, about 5 or 6 ounce capacity (but 8 would work). Then distribute a full bottle of VSOT evenly among the three bottles. Now you have instant crankcase dose. Those who like a bit more can do two 8 ounce bottles evenly distributed. Reuse the empty bottles.

Paul,

The absolute best way is to get thirty two ceramic coated non magnetic stainless steel clear coated epoxy transparent triangular radiation shielded vessels and fill each with exactly 1/2 oz of VSOT. Then after careful measuring, pour all of it back in the VSOT bottle and find a measuring cup and put four to five oz in it, then just dump it in the engine before you go for a drive : )

I like Blue Goose's idea. I actually just guesstimated and dumped 1/3 of the bottle right in the engine before I started up and took off.

mola,

can you shed light on the diff between your stuff sx-up, vsot, cd-2 and moly 132 for wisconsin winters.

Or suggest a brew of the four. I currently use 5 oz of 132 and 4 oz of cd-2 and was wondering what the sx-up and vsot would be for alternatives.

thanks

dukered. All the adds you listed (but the CD2)have "new oil analysis" data posted in the VOA forum of this site. You can see there are some significant differences in the composition of the additive packages. I posted the CD-2 data the company rep gave me. Think it was around 4500 ppm zinc and phosphorus and 8500 ppm calcium, no moly.

Now don't forget Powerservice Diesel Lube Oil Extender (VOA data on site), which seems to be similar to the CD-2 stuff in price and composition of additives shown in an analysis, though the unshown composition may be quite different. Don't see any reason can't use in a gasoline engine.

thanks tallpaul that visc info you posted helped me finalize what i need. thanks

TallPaul
Member # 2671 posted February 05, 2006 11:07 PM
Use the measurement increments on the side of a quart oil bottle to measure the VSOT. Start with half a quart of oil, add the VSOT, and shake well.

That's probably what I will do. Was just looking for a cheap/free way to do it. I really hate to buy oil at the list price.
nono.gif
tongue.gif

This is going in my sons' 94 GC w/201k miles. Did one A-RX and have used 1 OC with ST 15/40 and the last one with ST 10/40 with the recommended LC 20 routine. Have reduced the oil burning from 1200Mi/qt. to 1800 mi/qt. so, we're heading in the right direction. Will do another A-RX with the next OC.

Thinning VSOT or SX-UP reduces the addtive concentrations that would get to your oil.

I would not recommend it.

>

If I remember high school chemistry correctly (40 years ago), sounds like you are confusing weight and volume. We are talking volume here. What one liquid ounce "weighs" is irrelevant.

Does a quart of oil weigh 2 pounds (32 ounces)? No, it contains 32 ounces by volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back