Concerned to add 5oz of LC20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was checking my oil today, to see how full my motor was. Shell Quick Lube did my oil last (my oil, their labor).

I saw the tech pour in all 5 quarts, the manual calls for 4.6 quarts (so .4 quarts over), plus 5oz of VSOT now.

Needless to say my dipstick reads above the max line (which is really a bend in the dipstick I guess).

I'm a bit concerned to add another 4 to 5 ounces of product to the car. Should I be?

I think you can generally get away with a little overfill in most engines. I've heard if you get too too much oil in the engine the crankshaft can whip air into the oil.

If this were my car I would drain a little oil out, maybe either sucking a little out through the dipstick hole or trying to let just a little out through the drain plug, although letting some out the drain plug is more difficult I always end up letting out way too much because I can't the plug threaded back in fast enough.

I'm a bit concerned to add another 4 to 5 ounces of product to the car. Should I be?

I would be. Your already 18 oz over fill. Another 4 oz of VSOT will put you at 22 oz over. That's a lot of overfill for a small sump.

If your dipstick reads higher than it should, I would drain enough oil into a clean mason jar and save it to add later. Don't add anymore VSOT than 1 oz per quart ~ I use 1/2 oz per quart~ or your oil will thicken out of grade.

I'm about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch over full on my stick...not sure if I should add the 1 oz of LC20 that is called for every 1k(probably hit it tomorrow) Play it safe and just keep with the 4 oz I initially put in?

Don't really feel like draining any out..

Goose
patriot.gif

Dont worry, 1/2 quart extra won't harm anything.

That depends. I have no worries going 1/2 quart over in my 10 quart sump. In a 4.6 sump......I'm not so sure.

Marco would have been at 22-23 over in his 4.6 sump had he added another 4 to 5 ounces to his engine which equals about .70 quarts overfill. That was the question he posed to us......should he be concerned to add another 4 or 5 ounces extra to his already .56 quart overfill in a recommended 4.6 sump. My educated guess is yes..

Yep. I'm not adding LC this time around. I'll just let it ride the way it is unless I can find a friend with a vacuum pump to suck some oil out through the dipstick tube. I dont have the tools to get the car in the air and undo the drain plug.

you worry too much.

Ted, I disagree. I think he has a valid concern. If Marco would add the 5 oz LC, he would be at .70 qt overfill in a 4.6 sump. Do you think he is alright with .70 qt. overfill ?! If so......how about .8 qt, or .9 qt. What about 1 qt overfill ?!

My point is, where do you, or anyone draw the line with respect to overfilling your engine ?! I don't think Marco has unduly worried about this. I think he has been smart in asking our advice. I see he posted that he won't be adding anymore to his engine at this time.......he made the right decision IMO.

I don't know about newer cars, but my factory assembly manual for a '70 Olds says "add 5.5 quarts" to a 5 quart system.....

You can pull the filter if its easy get
and that will usually get you 4-6 oz. Then just drain it and reinstall it. Its easier to get off right after the change before its been baked on. Put a plastic bag over it after you get it to turn a little and you won't even spill any oil.

If you don't get enough, just turn the motor over and repeat taking it off for another 4-6oz .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back