VSOT & Esso XD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched to Esso XD3, 0w30, PAO, full synthetic following completion of my AutoRX rinse phase. This is the first time I have used synthetic oil.

The car in question is a 95 Maxima SE with 62,700 mostly highway miles on it. I have owned the car since day 1.

Would I benefit from adding VSOT to the oil and, if so, how? The XD3 is a thicker 30 weight oil at operating temperature.

I live at the coast of British Columbia and we have had an extremely mild winter thus far. I plan on running the XD3 year round.

Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment (Silver 15 ounce bottle).

Elemental Analysis (ppm)
Copper: 1
Iron: 2
Chrome: 0
Nickel: 0
Titanium: 0
Silver: 0
Lead: 0
Tin: 2
Alum: 34
Silicon: 0
Sodium: 23
Potassium: 1
Moly: 2324
Boron: 1046
Barium: 0
Calcium: 1050
Magnesium: 968
Mangan: 0
Phosphorus: 1792
Zinc: 1740

Viscosity cSt @ 100C: 74.6.0

Ferrous Debris: 33

I like VSOT. It has a good add package. I only use 1/2 oz per quart. If you add more than one oz per quart, your oil will thicken out of grade according to my tests. Your engine should run quieter and smoother with VSOT. I also highly recommend Lube Control. Do a search of VSOT, you will find plenty to read.

I've never seen it in Canada.

My dad travels to the US fairly regularly and I get him to buy VSOT for me while he's there.

I've got a decent VSOT stash to go with my GC stash.

To be honest with you, I've never looked for it.

I live about 25 miles from the border and am planning a trip down to Bellingham which is about 25 miles south of the border. I will be able to find all kinds of stuff there that I haven't seen here, eg. VSOT, Seafoam, Purolator PureOne oil filter (which I can find here)at a reasonable price, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back