After 1 Gallon of FP60!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replys.

Yes, It is a 1996 and is OBDII. This leads me to my first question, if the Timing is computer controlled, how would the timing be off?

The ERG valve is 5 years old, I can try cleaning it to see if it helps. The plugs and wires are getting changed this summer, so maybe i will try a colder plug. The MAF has never been cleaned that i know of, so that is definitly due and might help too. I will try to run 93 octane the next fillup to see it that helps, but my goal is try and fix the pinging problem without needing to increase the octane. Want to stay away from the premium prices.

Also, can anyone tell me how to do a vacuum test to see if there is a leak some where.

Thanks for all the help

Spark timing is computer controlled.

Valve timing is still controlled physically.

When you clean the MAF:

1.) Use ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. Not WD40, rubbing alcohol, windex, etc. ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER
2.) Do NOT touch the wires. Do NOT rub them with a q-tip. Only thing that should touch them is ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER

You can purchase it at most auto parts stores for a few bucks.

I would also suggest staying with 87 octane and changing/cleaning one thing at a time--that way, you'll know what effect each thing had.

I started on FP60 to solve a ping in my 2001 Silverado after cleaning the MAF and installing a cooler thermostat didn't help. After several months, I still had a hot-weather ping under load with A/C. Changing to colder plugs seemed to help a bit last summer, and I've taken some trips recently (cold weather) with no ping on 87. Time will tell if that's because of cold air or continued FP60 use.

I also use FP60 in an old Saturn, and it gets about 2 mpg better city mileage.

I looked at ford sites and the two most common
ford failures (mid 1990s) with pinging are egr valve not opening all the way and the dpfe sensor failing (differential pressure feedback sensor) which is measuring pressure in the egr system.

Do you have a recent smog check result?
That can guide you to some of the systems that were getting worse but didn't cause you to fail.
I had a Jeep that literally failed every two years without cleaning the EGR. If the EGR is clean so it can open, you can give it commands to open part way and see if it does in the newer OB2 systems. You'll need to check other sites on whether the sensor will do CEL if it fails as mine always was just carbon.

I always thought 5.0's were suppose to ping
grin.gif

What fuel is it pinging on?

Try a bottle of Regane/Redline/Amsoil/VentilSauber/Seafoam/Bg44k/Techron. If any or some of those don't help, tear into the tuneup and mechanical/electrical problems.

I would say that 80% of the 5.0 Explorers I worked on while at Ford had cracked exhaust manifolds. Sometimes the ticking would only show up under load when EGT went up. Just something to keep in mind.

I'll place my money on the 02 sensor - have you replaced it yet?
Also, to Rhymingmechanic - just my opinion, but putting a cooler thermostat in will not help your problems, and could easily cause more. I'd go back to the factory recommended temp thermostat if it were me.

thanks for all the replys.

I plan on cleaning th MAF and EGR soon and the O2 sesors will be replaced very soon also. The EGR system was replaced a few ears ago, so it probably could use a cleaning, but it it were bacd i would think it would throw a code or something. It did the first time it went.

To start, I just filled up with Shell V-power and I am going to run 2 tanks of the premium stuff to see if it changes anything and go from there. Then I will go back to 87 and go piece by peiece to see what fixs it. thanks again for all the help

We have a 93 Taurus and a 99, both have had problems with pinging. I guess it's worse than usual as we live on a hill and both cars see lots of short trips. Typically we had been using Chevron, but switched to Shell for awhile as the cars seemed to run fine on it. After awhile though it seemed that the cars started pinging more often than usual, and we've switched back to Chevron.

The older car had a bout of high oil consumption (it's a lot better but I still plan on trying some AutoRx) with cascading failures of other sensors and such, where I tried different cleaners. In one case I used two bottles of Gumout as I heard that it worked well, but the car still pinged until I used some Chevron fuel system cleaner. In the older car I had also used water injection, some Seafoam and B12 (seems to work better than Seafoam) thru the intake. I also played with the timing and plugs and found that Autolite copper plugs will tolerate the most advance before pinging, where I'm using the factory timing. I still use the double platinum plugs in the newer car.

I've also been using Mobil 1 T&S in both cars for the last couple of changes, I'm using a 5k change interval, and suspect that it might make for slightly less carbon buildup via the PCV valve, but it's just a guess. I also used a PCV valve from a 5.0 Mustang in the older car to address ome of the oil consumption, and it seemed to have helped too. Since PCV valves are a controlled vacuum leak, they'll have an impact on pinging too. I use a stock PCV valve on the newer car.

In summary, we find that Chevron premium (you do use if you have pinging problems, don't you ?) works better to control pinging than Shell, that Chevron fuel system cleaner works better than other stuff, copper plugs might help to reduce pinging, and Mobil 1 T&S might help to by keeping things cleaner.

Hello SRFF---I have a 95 F150 with the 302 and it has 150,000 on it at the moment,I have had a pinging problem since day 1 with that truck, I brought it back many times to have the problem fixed and till this day it will ping if I use regular gas, We did everything possible to correct the problem, From complete tune ups and replacements of everything to using every snake oil remody under the sun, Had the timing retarded ,advanced, you name it it was suggested and tried, Nothing seem to work except running high test gasoline, The truck has been used as a work truck since day 1 had continues to run everyday with no problems.

thanks for the replys.

With the price of fuel today, i am gonna try to fix this pinging while still running 87 like it was designed to run. We'll see if this plan works though.

ok, I have been doing alot of driving lately and I am half way through my 2nd tank of Premium 93 fuel and there is absolutely no pinging. I could be wrong, but would this indicate that there is excessive heat in the chambers either by carbon buildup or the spark plugs and would rule out problems with the other parts. I would think that if it were the EGR, vac leak , O2, etc.., that it would ping no matter what gas I ran. Am I wrong, what do you guys think? I am still planning on cleaning the MAF and replacing the bad O2 sensor i have and will probably go back to 87 the next fill up. thanks again for the help

Seafoam sucked though fish tank tube via PCV vac line will not Hydrolock engine.

I have done it to many vehicles with great results.

The MAF cleaning/new plugs/SeaFoam/new PCV helped my pinging in my 4.6 Vic.

I SeaFoam it now once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back