LCP CCW Ammo types or favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using this for self defense. I'm not knowledgeable regarding bullets. Any favorites or good source for learning more info on ammo is appreciated..... I'm going to have to break it in..... I thought that was only for engines and such, but I guess I was ignorant on that. Thanks

AMMUNITION
The RUGER® LCP® pistols are chambered for the .380 Auto cartridge. Do not
attempt to load any other cartridges into the magazine or chamber of the pistol.
Do not use “+P” ammunition.
The RUGER® LCP® pistols are compatible with standard factory ammunition
loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including hollow-point loads loaded in brass
or aluminum cases. No .380 Auto ammunition manufactured in accordance with
NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or
known not to function in these pistols. Do not use “+P” ammunition.

OB - where do you shoot? We should meet up
grin2.gif

Just get some low cost target .380ACP ammo. I don't think the LCP is too picky, but get a box each of four or five brands. I've shot the LCP quite a bit, but don't own one. For a kinda nasty trigger and small gun it did quite well at 25 yards.

Anyway after you go through the target stuff get a couple boxes of top end SD ammo. Frankly I don't recommend one brand, but in .380 I like Buffalo Bore Hard Cast bullets, not hollow point.

Those 100-gr. (standard pressure) Buffalo Bore Hardcast rounds are excellent for self defense.

LOL, the way the market is right now, just buy whatever you can find... LCPs aren't too picky about ammo anyway (at least mine isn't).

That said, I'm partial to Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1, and Hornady Critical Defense. I'd give the edge to the Hornady as the better SD round though.

I don't have a .380, but in my 9mm I use Hornady Critical Defense for my self defense rounds. For target practice, I pretty much use whatever I can find.

I load my lcp with fmj. I don't think the .380 round had enough penetration for a hollow point to reach vitals. In my other calibers i load powerball or other hollow points, the .380 lcp gets Winchester fmj. The ruger lcp is not rated for +p loads btw.

Last edited:
Penetration is the key with the 380 (9mm Short) - hence FMJ or Hardcast rounds are best for SD.

I don't shoot now, but will when I get the gun. The last time I went to a shooting range was about 40 years ago. You must go to the Kenmore I assume? I think that was the one we went to when I was a kid. I would be up for going there at some point......

I guess there is a lot of variables with ammo. I'll have to
Originally Posted By: Pablo
OB - where do you shoot? We should meet up
grin2.gif

Just get some low cost target .380ACP ammo. I don't think the LCP is too picky, but get a box each of four or five brands. I've shot the LCP quite a bit, but don't own one. For a kinda nasty trigger and small gun it did quite well at 25 yards.

Anyway after you go through the target stuff get a couple boxes of top end SD ammo. Frankly I don't recommend one brand, but in .380 I like Buffalo Bore Hard Cast bullets, not hollow point.

The remington golden saber 102 grain looks pretty good. 13.8 penetration and .59 expansion. I may have to get some of those.

Before my wife carried 9mm she carried .380.

I'll pass along a recommendation from my good buddy who is a coroner for Cuyahoga County, Ohio. He advised me that the Cleveland PD preferred their back-up Glock 25's in .380 to be chambered in Corbon DPX .380 LINK. He had performed several autopsies on suspects on the receiving end of the Corbon DPX .380 and he said even shots to the abdomen of "morbidly obese" suspects yielded fatal results.

So that was what I advised my wife to carry.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I don't shoot now, but will when I get the gun. The last time I went to a shooting range was about 40 years ago. You must go to the Kenmore I assume? I think that was the one we went to when I was a kid. I would be up for going there at some point......

I guess there is a lot of variables with ammo.

No I don't like Kenmore. During the winter I go to West Coast Armory (indoors), year round outdoors I'm a member of Marysville Rifle Club. Both are great places. I'll be at MRC on Friday.

Anyway, hard cast solid point is the way to go with .380.

I'm in north Everett. The Marysville Rifle club sounds like a good place that's close to me. Maybe I'll try to get there sometime on a Thursday if I can pull it off time wise. I'll check out all of the tips on bullets. Thanks guys
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

I guess there is a lot of variables with ammo.

No I don't like Kenmore. During the winter I go to West Coast Armory (indoors), year round outdoors I'm a member of Marysville Rifle Club. Both are great places. I'll be at MRC on Friday.

Anyway, hard cast solid point is the way to go with .380.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back