Air compressor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a search and I'm probably posting in the wrong section BUT
what is recommended for oil in an air cooled single stage compressor? Is compressor oil "special" or will any ND oil work.
Any enlightening would be appreciated as research into the subject seems to be limited to use IR, CH, or manuf suggested at a cost of what a good synthetic costs.

Thanks Smoky

Usually just 30 weight non-detergent oil. Some specifically state not to use multi-viscosity oil (such as PCMO 5w30).

I use Amsoil in mine, which works a treat. Helps it kick over easier in my unheated, uninsulated garage in the dead of winter yet still protects in the dog days of summer when running it non-stop to respray the deck.

A 30 weight motor oil will be more than fine. We use a 10w30 in a 60gallon at work that runs every 20 min or so. Its going strong after 10 years at least.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Usually just 30 weight non-detergent oil. Some specifically state not to use multi-viscosity oil (such as PCMO 5w30).

I use Amsoil in mine, which works a treat. Helps it kick over easier in my unheated, uninsulated garage in the dead of winter yet still protects in the dog days of summer when running it non-stop to respray the deck.

Right. Non detergent is a must. I have 12 5.5hp Honda powered v-twin and inline twin air compressors for work. I've used every compressor oil out there over the years. I've settled on amsoil for the past few years. It's the only oil that will even allow the pumps to turn over at -35 and it doesn't break down in the 40c degree heat in the summer.
Once,in a pinch I used 5w-30 because the compressor got upended in transport to one of our sites and while it was on its side the oil leaked out of the pump so just to get the guys going I used engine oil.
Bad idea. The detergents in the oil foamed and I could see bubbles thru the fill hole. And I know bubbles in oil means lubrication is compromised. So I immediately shut down the pump and had the guys hand nail while I ran and grabbed some non detergent 30 grade to put in it.
Once I put the n-d 30 in the pump no more bubbles.
I have seen some electric compressor manufacturers suggest using M1 15w-50 but I don't know how they get around the whole detergent thing with that but I guess somehow its not foaming,or not enough to matter.
Our compressors run 10 hours a day,and never stop pumping air,even at idle they pump air but it just blows off into the atmosphere until the tank pressure gets low enough for the engine to throttle and pump Into the tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back