VPB 15w-40; 5.5k miles; 121k miles on 5.9 CTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Long time browser, first time poster. I just received my first UOA from Blackstone Labs (Awesome Company!) and I was wondering if I could get some additional comments on it. The truck is a stock 2006 Ram 2500 5.9 with 120,712 miles on it. I bought the truck used from a reputable dealership and changed the oil after 5,500 miles (according to their windshield service sticker). I was unsure of the oil that the dealership used at their service and I did make note of that in the UOA additional comments section. Blackstone commented on the report that they believe it was 15W40 due to its viscosity. Thank you in advance!

COMMENTS: Thanks for the notes. It looks like you bought a nice Cummins here. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 6,700 miles on the oil. This oil didn't see that much use, which is fine. The low wear just means there's room for a longer oil run in the future. The low wear also shows happy, healthy mechanical parts. The viscosity was in the 15W40 range. The TBN was strong at 5.6 showing plenty of active additive left. 1.0 or less is considered too low. Try 7,500 miles on the next oil and check back.

MY RESULTS / UNIVERSAL AVG.

ALUMINUM 3 / 3

CHROMIUM 1 / 1

IRON 18 / 24

COPPER 2 / 5

LEAD 1 / 2

TIN 0 / 1

MOLY 26 / 39

NICKEL 0 / 0

MANGANESE 0 / 0

SILVER 1 / 1

TITANIUM 0 / 1

POTASSIUM 11 / 5

BORON 129 / 83

SILICON 2 / 5

SODIUM 4 / 4

CALCIUM 2332 / 2345

MAGNESIUM 110 / 381

PHOSPHORUS 1179 / 1108

ZINC 1411 / 1295

BARIUM 0 / 0

PROPERTIES:

SUS VISCOCITY @ 210 F.....75.2

cSt VISCOCITY @ 100 C.....14.30

MY RESULTS / VALUES SHOULD BE

FLASHPOINT IN F 420 / >415

FUEL %
ANTIFREEZE % 0 / 0

WATER % 0 / 0

INSOLUABLES % 0.3 /
TBN 5.6 / >1.0

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome2.gif
to the site! Everything's looking good in the Cummins! What oil and filter did you change it with?

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I changed it with Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 and a NAPA Gold oil filter.

Buying this truck used I was extremely concerned with the service it may not have seen with the past owner. Although the CARFAX was clean and detailed all the services you just never know for sure.

Originally Posted By: strr
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I changed it with Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 and a NAPA Gold oil filter.

Buying this truck used I was extremely concerned with the service it may not have seen with the past owner. Although the CARFAX was clean and detailed all the services you just never know for sure.

I agree, you never know. Good choice on oil and filter though. Do you plan to run 7500 miles like Blackstone suggested?

Yes I plan on running this oil 7,500 miles and performing another UOA with Blackstone. Now that I know what oil and filter are being ran the next results will be interesting.

I do have a concern with my truck though and I'm not sure if it was related to the oil change or not. After I changed the oil and filter I started the truck to let it circulate. There were no problems with the startup and the engine sounded as it normally does but I did notice a light grey haze coming from the exhaust for the first 45 seconds or so. It did this for the next few startups and hasn't done it since. I can say my truck never did this before the oil and filter change.

Don't forget the fuel filter, air filter, and check the antifreeze condition as well. Use a good fuel conditioner year round such as PowerService. Also keep a good eye on the positive and negative cables and the battery.

I changed the fuel filter with a Fleetgaurd at the same time as the oil. I also started using Stanadyne Performance Formula. The air filter was spotless at my oil change. I need to clean the battery terminals and just for peace of mind I'd like to flush the radiator soon.

Originally Posted By: strr
I changed the fuel filter with a Fleetgaurd at the same time as the oil. I also started using Stanadyne Performance Formula. The air filter was spotless at my oil change. I need to clean the battery terminals and just for peace of mind I'd like to flush the radiator soon.

True to the heart and Bitog genes that run in our blood....LOL.....we rest assured your mind is thinking about the ATF, Gear oil, as well as the grease!

Lol, yes sir!

Power steering fluid was replaced with Castrol ATF when I had a new gearbox put in. Transmission and gear oil are next and I was planning on running Amsoil synthetics. As far as the grease I have no idea but I am definitely going to start looking into that as far as how to, products, etc.

Welcome to the site!

Nice UOA; engine and oil both healthy.
I agree that you could run longer OCIs, if this type service is experienced. Stretch it out gradually, as Blackstone suggests. 7.5k miles is easily attainable given this performance.

NOTE: I will update your thread title to the correct format.

Last edited:
Thank you. It's nice to know that a little time and money can be saved by extending these drains. One of the first things I heard when I bought a diesel was how much time I would spending changing the oil on it.

Thank you for changing the title. I will remember that format for next time.

I run Rotella 15w40 in our 2003 3500 w/ cummins for 10k based on Blackstone UOA recommendations

10K is what I strive for but this exhaust haze on startup is causing me some concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back