Blackberry Bold 9900 Charge Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Recently we got blackberry bold model 9900 units at work to replace the older ones that we had (model 6000-something?). I have a 12V 3.1A Kensington power jolt that has a 1A and a 2.1A port. It is suitable for iPads. The blackberry was shipped with an 850mA AC charger, which charges fine as does plugging it into my work HP laptop USB port.

The 12V charger charges iPhones and iPads just fine. It works perfect. Yet the blackberry doesn't charge at all, even in the 2.1A port. It even flashes an error message, that the charger may not be suitable.

This makes no sense. Any ideas?

Is there something with the cable that inhibits charging? It works both for charge and tethering from my laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

There are specific chargers for Blackberry devices for this reason unfortunately. They do some sort of plug/unplug/plug protocol when they connect to a charging source that works with a PC and BB-compliant chargers, but not with generic ones.

It's probably looking for a USB host data message. Plugging in a standard 'dumb' charger doesn't provide it, which forces you to use a USB cable to a computer or their $pecialized charger.

Playstation 3 controllers do the same thing, which means you can't use a cell phone charger to recharge them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
There are specific chargers for Blackberry devices for this reason unfortunately. They do some sort of plug/unplug/plug protocol when they connect to a charging source that works with a PC and BB-compliant chargers, but not with generic ones.

Interesting. The last two blackberries I had did not do this. I wonder if I can set it to a charge only mode (when connecting to a computer it asks me which mode I want, but not on the charger), so that it will just be dumb and charge.

Very disappointing. If evil Apple can let me charge my phone off any old charger, and even let me slow charge my iPad off an under rated source, you would think that BB would do so...

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
where your power source, usb? cumputer? car? or plug in the wall? try diffrent one

Read the OP. Works fine with HP laptop and 850mA BB-sourced AC charger. 12V DC chargers rated for far higher ampacity than required dont.

Some phones other than BlackBerrys have this problem. It has to do with special non-standard cables they use. Basically it's the same connector, but the phone manufacturer changes the pin configuration. Annoying because they say "micro USB" when it's technically a proprietary connector.

My brother's new phone has a combo MHL/micro-USB port. Looks like micro USB, but any cable other than the one it came with won't charge it. It actually has an error about the cable being "damaged".

Originally Posted By: dparm
Some phones other than BlackBerrys have this problem. It has to do with special non-standard cables they use. Basically it's the same connector, but the phone manufacturer changes the pin configuration. Annoying because they say "micro USB" when it's technically a proprietary connector.

My brother's new phone has a combo MHL/micro-USB port. Looks like micro USB, but any cable other than the one it came with won't charge it. It actually has an error about the cable being "damaged".

You can use any micro USB cable with the 9900 with the supplied charger or with a computer, it isn't the cable in this case but rather the "handshake" the phone does to initiate charge.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: dparm

You can use any micro USB cable with the 9900 with the supplied charger or with a computer, it isn't the cable in this case but rather the "handshake" the phone does to initiate charge.

Boo. You ruined my night - I was hoping it were as easy as a cable.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back