AWD Husqvarna

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a commercial last night for an AWD Husqvarna walk behind mower. It said it would be available at Lowes and is belt driven. Also saw a commercial for a 30 inch Toro walk behind. Anybody know anything else about these mowers? Thanks G

I guess I don't see the need for an AWD push mower because I've never had a problem, but I'm young I guess and can still muscle a mower. The Toro TimeMaster seems expensive for what it is. At 1000 dollars you're only 500 bucks from an entry level lawn tractor, and you could have a good used commercial walk behind as well. I don't like the idea of the timing of the blades via a toothed belt, though I understand both Deere and Simplicity do this with their mulch only decks and have for some time. Still, if I had the cash and needed a walk behind I'd go Ariens 34" all day, or a different used commercial mower.

Lawnsite.com is a great site for this sort of research. That's for lawn service providers, so their advice and culture is geared towards that but it beats getting advice from someone who mows for 30 minutes a week but considers themselves and expert.

The AWD Husqvarna is sold at Lowe's and at Northern Tool. It has a Honda GCV OHV engine and has two belt-driven transmissions. A friend of mine recently bought one to mow is very hilly lawn. Said the traction and stability is very good. I'd rather a RWD mower myself.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The AWD Husqvarna is sold at Lowe's and at Northern Tool. It has a Honda GCV OHV engine and has two belt-driven transmissions. A friend of mine recently bought one to mow is very hilly lawn. Said the traction and stability is very good. I'd rather a RWD mower myself.

Might be nice in the winter too if people use it to plow their driveway. AWD and chains would be a nice combo for a tractor

Originally Posted By: bepperb
No, it's an AWD push mower.

Well, technically, it's an AWD walk-behind mower. A push mower is not self-propelled...it's operator-propelled.
wink.gif

I'd rather see variable drives from L-R. then it could be steered. and with a couple of R/C servos on each control line, it would very easily become a fully-driveable R/C device. it'd become a toy.... a treaded version would forgo the need for a front-rear driveshaft on each side....

methinks overkill, at least for what I mowed. RWD mower provided all the traction ever needed in my experience.

that said, I love my small ztr. for me it wasn't the mower traction, it was a bad knee....

Years ago, I had a FWD Husqvarna push mower. I really liked being able to just lift the front wheels when changing direction.

I was just curious as I didn't know an AWD walk behind was even available. It's a neat concept but I doubt many people would actually need one. I prefer the RWD walk behinds as well and have never had a problem with my RWD on my steep front yard. Does anybody know who makes the transmissions? Thanks G

I bought one of these today. We have a pretty steep hill behind our house to clear of grass and weeds every year, and I've been using a Husqvarna 323-R trimmer/light brushcutter for the last 3 years. The trimmer works great but takes forever. We've been wanting to get a mower for a while to help with the flatter parts and so my wife and I can both work on the clearing at the same time.

Had been planning to get a RWD mower but when I found out about this new AWD model I though it'd work out great. We borrowed a Billy Goat brush mower from a friend a couple years ago and used it on some of the flatter parts of the hill but despite its power it required a lot of manhandling to keep it going straight -- probably mainly because of its weight. Something lighter and that pulls from more contact patches with seemed appealing.

Anyway, we only got about an hour and a half's use out of the new mower today so it's too early for conclusions but I'm *really* happy with the way it works. Plenty of power and the traction is great. It has no trouble pulling up the hill and is easy to track straight going along at a slant regardless of whatever ruts and gopher holes it's rolling over. Runs smooth and starts easily too (I mean, it better -- it's brand new!). No choke or anything to deal with.

Time will tell whether the drivetrain is problematic at all but it doesn't actually look that complicated and I'm expecting we'll get our money's worth out of it.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
I saw one for sale at my local snapper/husqvarna dealer too. I was under the impression it was a Lowes exclusive.

We got ours at a local dealer. Lowes said it was a "pre-paid special order only" and they didn't have any in the store. Fine w/ me -- I'd rather buy from my local shop anyway.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Time will tell whether the drivetrain is problematic at all but it doesn't actually look that complicated and I'm expecting we'll get our money's worth out of it.

How are the drive belts situated? Is there one belt to the front and one belt to the back, both running from the crankshaft? If so, does the crankshaft have two pulleys, one stacked on top of the other? Thanks.

I haven't opened mine up to poke around yet but here's a picture from the owners' manual. One long drive belt w/ a bunch of idlers, single row crank pulley. Kind of reminds me of a SOHC Subaru timing belt!

You want to know about the Toro 30" walk behind? Its called the Timemaster and i can't believe i lived without it last year. It is perfect for weekly mulch mowings and has cut my time on some lawns in half or more. Its not cheap but i really like mine. I save fuel, time, engine runs for less time, i can't say enough good things about it.

I used to have a riding mower, but the Time Master is faster. Plus i don't need my trailer to take it lawn to lawn. I do 6 lawns a week and im done 2 hours earlier. I have lawns that take longer to line trim than mow with the T-Master.

It won't bag like a Snapper but its a fantastic mulcher. Thank you Toro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back