can auto-rx cause leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have this theory in my mind and tell me if im lost.so first,using synthetic oil can cause leaks, not because of the oil,just that synthetic oils cleans engine and seals that were holding up with sludge is now gone,and start to leak,right? so what the difference when using auto-rx because if that also cleans engine and bad seals that were holding up with sludge,are now gone and start to leak? please tell me how the thing really is.thanks
cheers.gif

they claim that if you remove the sludge from the seals (which was keeping oil from leaking) then the new oil will come in contact with the seal and condition it enough to where it swells enough to not leak... i think this highly depends on the wear of the engine and milegae etc... i think if you tried that with a 170k+ vehicle you're asking for problems when removing sludge from seals and expecting them to recondition in contact with new oil.

My experience is that during the ARX treatment process, leaks start and stop, and if the seal is not torn or otherwise damaged, the leaking will decrease dramatically or stop altogether.

I've used ARX in three vehicles, and my Dad has in two, and the above seems to be the case with vehicles that leak.

tonttu,

If the seals are not broken Auto-Rx can clean and stop leaks. If you are trying to stop a leak use non synthetic oil good luck.

I think what happens is that sure synthetics do some cleaning. But the operative word is some. If the seal is not cleaned completely, oil will find the path of least resistance through it. Therefor it must be cleaned up completely, before it has a chance of re-mating with the rotating shaft. Likely why a double application of arx is normally warranted. Likely why some report more leaking, before the leak gets lessened or stops all together.

Well I am in the rinse part on my buick 3800 180000miles and the valve cover gaskets have started to leak,but I will say the engine runs quieter and the mpg have gone up,so if I have to replace the gaskets to stop the leak it is a good trade.Auto rx is truly amazing stuff

No, ARX does not itself "cause" leaks.

But because it cleans so deeply, it can clean away dirt that was maintaining a false seal.

In many instances, the leak is temporary, as the seal is mechanically sound and will reseal again after all the dirt is removed and it fully reseats to metal.

But if the seal is already damaged or worn enough to allow a leak, the ARX will likely leave it leaking.

Deposits should not be the sealing agent on an engine. If it leaks after a complete ARX treatment, the seal is bad and should be replaced.

The benefits of deposit removal far outweigh the risk of exposing an already failed seal, in my opinion.

ARX will not help a valve cover seal. However rotational seals such as cam or crank seals have been healed with the proper application of ARX. Provided that a seal hasn't been starved of oil for years and become brittle from heat and lack of lubrication, ARX is more likely to stop a seal leak, than create one. Instructions need to be followed.

Yes, gaskets and seals are apples and oranges where leaks are concerned. A gasket does not present the dynamic properties of a seal. But a weeping gasket can often be cured by some bolt snugging. The same cannot be said of seals.

My engine didn't leak at all other than some oil pan gasket weeping, very minor. Then I ran 3 ARX treatments. Once I did that, it started leaking 1 qt/1500 miles. It had 125,000 miles on it at the time.

I finished my Auto-RX treatment around 10K miles ago. My 1997 Monte Carlo LS has 175K miles on it now, I originally used it because the engine began to sound a little on the rough side (it has always had piston slap, but the valves started to sound unpleasant) and it would burn oil when it was cold or if I went full-throttle (often).

Well, the oil burning slowed way down, I really don't even notice it burning any oil now. I used to get a big 'ol puff of blue smoke if I hit the gas to pass someone, that is now gone. It also feels like it has more seat of the pants power. On the down side, my rear main seal has started leaking, and it is just getting worse. It typically will put a few drips on the ground a night. I'm thinking about running another application of Auto-RX this summer when I have more time to mess with it.

All in all though, I think it would have started leaking sooner or later, and I'm still glad I went ahead and did the Auto-RX application.

mstrjon32,

You might want to use non synthetic oil for 2 or 3 oil changes I had do do the same thing after my cleaning and rinse phases and it stopped my seal leak good luck.

Daryl

After my RX cycle i swithced back to regualr gas from high octane. Excellent results. No more pinging.

But the next day i noticed that i was low on oil. And it seems to be smoking now more than ever. Hopefully this will be one of those temporary things that others have described.

But i'm now fully convinced that my car is running better. I want to say it feels more powerful but i don't really have a real way of measuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back