volvo s80 transmission 4t65e solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, need some positive thoughts here!
2000 S80 received a NEW from Volvo transmission at 170K. Car now has 222K and has a code for a stuck 1 to 2 solenoid.
Yet to touch it, I am on the road ,daughter gave me code AAA towing read her.

Thoughts: clear code, see if it goes away , look for a bad ground or a bad transmission electrical connector?

I am not into dropping the engine to pull the trans side cover /pan to replace solenoid! Car is in the home stretch of life! Its a shame, 1 owner, always had 3 K oil changes!

Any other simple things I can look at? Thank you

Last edited:
iirc the transmission harness goes directly to the tcm it might be worth checking it for corroded pins

If I were you I would start with a pan drop + filter change though - a new filter should help increase pressure. my s80 does well with maxlife dex/merc

Home stretch with 170,000 miles on a volvo? That motor will go 400,000 with the proper care and Timing Belt Changes.. If you forget to change the Timing Belt that will destroy the engine!
We dont see that many of those volvos here for engines they are tough cars

cost of part is not the issue its the dropping of the engine basically to get AT the side pan and solenoid.

Car has had all maint including timing belt at 205K, It kills me to call it quits but the idea of an 900.00 labor maybe on solenoids ( I do lots of my own ork , but this looks like a PITA job, so I wanted to shout out for the simpler things that people may have seen.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back