How are toyotas air filters vs fram, NAPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I was at my local toyota dealer other day. Bought some new sprak plugs, oil filter, and was curious about the air filter. it says made in USA..and appeared to be a better quality than fram. The napa non gold one, is comparable. its a 1998 corolla. I had seen an STP paper one, with the tradional pleates, than cotton looking waves in it.
LIke, which would be the best or rated better at filtration? toyota or fram or napa?

I've noticed that the air filters you can buy from the dealer parts counter differ from the factory OEM filters; Mazdas for example, when I last purchased an air filter for one of the 2.5 Mazda3 at the dealer, it was simply a Purolator inside a Mazda box, right down to all the markings and numbers on the filter compared to a Purolator available at my local parts store. It defintely differed from the factory OEM filter that had pink media whereas the Purolator/Mazda parts counter had white media. I wonder if Toyota does the same for their air filters? I recently replaced the air filter in my GF's IS250 with a Wix and found it to be comparable in number of pleats and material quality to the existing Denso filter.

For aftermarket air filters, I prefer Wix/Napa-Gold filters, more pleats than other brands in most cases and consistent quality and generally better pricing than the filter available at the dealer parts counter. In summary, I'd go Wix/Napa, then Purolator or Mann, then dealer-parts-counter, then STP/others then Fram, although I have seen many Fram air filters that have impressed me (can't say so much for Fram oil filters).

Denso! that was the air filter, as well as the spark plugs and oil fitler. densos! yeah i had read about OEM factory being different from parts counter. well box says denso..so im assuming denso made the air filter i bought at parts counter?

The OEM Toyota air filters for my applications had a felt border where the air box sealed. Wix and Puro had a hard plastic frame and didn't seal as well. Filtration? Dunno.

Hello,
I work at FRAM in the technical dept. Our air filters are 99% efficiency, not sure what the OES filter is. We also have Tough Guard air filters that have enhanced media and greater capacity than the OES, OE or standard FRAM filter, great to use if you live on a dirt road.

The Toyota filter that fits our vibe is a weird looking all paper filter with no seal or plastic frame and the pleats are huge because there is no plastic frame they have to fit between. It's just compressed paper around the boarder so I wasn't sure if it would seal and returned it. All the non factory ones use the plastic/foam/rubber so I don't know what gives.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
The Toyota filter that fits our vibe is a weird looking all paper filter with no seal or plastic frame and the pleats are huge because there is no plastic frame they have to fit between. It's just compressed paper around the boarder so I wasn't sure if it would seal and returned it. All the non factory ones use the plastic/foam/rubber so I don't know what gives.

I had the same fear with mine as well, but I've gotten some bad filters with the plastic frame and foam or rubber seals, havn't had any of the factory Denso filters leak past the "seal" yet.

I just bought a Pronto air filter from Rockauto for a 93 Camry 5sfe, it was like $4.xx. I thought I'd just be getting a generic paper filter, much like most of what you'd get over the counter, but I was very surprised at what it is. It's a thick fibrous filter just like oem Denso I used before and it has a soft rubber gasket that surrounds the filter. I'm super impressed.

Looks like a quality air filter, at $4.xx I would expect a generic thin paper filter too.

I think either Amazon or Rockauto has many Pronto parts at lower price than other brand names, I thought about get 1 or 2 Pronto parts to compare with other to see how good or bad their quality is. From this picture I have more confidence about Pronto parts.

Where is the air filter made ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back