becoming a tankerman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone a tankerman? What kind of school do you have to go to and what does it take to get a job? Also whaat are the working conditions like? Do I have to be outside the whole time or do they let you sit undercover while waiting for the ship to offload.

I've never done that job, or worked in that field, but there use to be a tank farm near Pittsburgh, and from what I saw:

Ships unload to huge tanks (the kind that are a couple of stories tall and even wider than they are tall).

Trucks load from huge tanks.

You never wait on a ship to unload.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tank farm near Pittsburgh was there for many decades, than one holiday the regular person who over saw unloading was not there, and someone else tried to unload a barge into a huge tank that did not have enough room left in it to fit all the liquid into it. When the tank filled up completely the transfer pump continued to pump (the barge was not empty yet) and the pump caused pressure to build up in the huge tank. That pressure exerted on each square inch of that huge tank, was much more force than any tank could handle, and the tank had a huge failure. Luckely the was no fire, but there was one heck of a mess.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are schools you can go to for becoming a truck driver.

One of my sister in laws has a brother who went to school and became a regular truck driver. One of the big rules is that you are never allowed to back up while on the road. One day he over-shot an exit, stopped just past it, and backed up to take the exit. Another truck from the firm saw him do that and reported it. He got fired and his name is now on a list not allowing him to drive a truck for life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I think a trucking forum would have good info.

Didn't you finish welding school recently ?

That isn't what I mean by a tankerman. A tankerman offloads liquids from barges and ships.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
yeah. I'm not sure if I want to do that anymore tho.

Sad. Quality welding and brazing is hard to find, and some industries pay a premium. Double sad if you paid for schooling you now don't want to use.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Am I the only one who thought of an M1 Abrams when I read the thread title?

I was thinking of the Merkava IV tank.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I was thinking of the Merkava IV tank.
grin2.gif

You are not alone,but I thought of tank in general.

"Do I have to be outside the whole time or do they let you sit undercover while waiting for the ship to offload"

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way but I don't understand what the issue could be....is that why you decided against welding as a career....because you would be outside a lot? Is there a health reason you can't be outside.....sun exposure, temperature extremes, etc?

If it isn't one of those reasons or something close to it, maybe you should concentrate on administrative work or something similar that would keep you inside?

No, I did as well.

You can be in a shop and weld. You don't have to be outside. It doesn't get nearly as hot in a shop as it does in direct sunlight. I don't want be outside baking in the sun, I've done that for the last 10 years. Plus I really don't think breathing in all that smoke is good either. I get black snot when I weld a bunch.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
"Do I have to be outside the whole time or do they let you sit undercover while waiting for the ship to offload"

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way but I don't understand what the issue could be....is that why you decided against welding as a career....because you would be outside a lot? Is there a health reason you can't be outside.....sun exposure, temperature extremes, etc?

If it isn't one of those reasons or something close to it, maybe you should concentrate on administrative work or something similar that would keep you inside?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
yeah. I'm not sure if I want to do that anymore tho.

Sad. Quality welding and brazing is hard to find, and some industries pay a premium. Double sad if you paid for schooling you now don't want to use.

I agree, but if you are not really wanting to weld then you shouldn't go into that field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back