vw 505.1 spec, must have or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also hang out on a vw forum and over there they say I don't need to have oil that says 505.1 on it for my 02 Beetle and 03 Jetta, both with the same turbo diesel engine.

We filled up my sons Beetle with Rotella T-6 synthetic 5W-40. It says on the bottle:

Meets API Service CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4/SM
Meets the performance requirements of: ACEA E9, Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2, Cummins CES 20081, Mack EO-O Premium Plus, DDC 93K218, MB Approval 228.31, Volvo VDS-4, JASO DH-2, JASO MA

So is the Rotella T-6 okay for these engines?

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Yes, it is OK. 505.1 was for later model VW diesels, and it has been superseded now by 507.

Ok, but that's not 507 either.

For those years I believe you need VW 505 not 505.01. Also your owners manual lists three specs: VW 505, API CH4 and IIRC and ILSAC rating. Oils meeting any of the three can be used. I would recommend GC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AlienBug
For those years I believe you need VW 505 not 505.01. Also your owners manual lists three specs: VW 505, API CH4 and IIRC and ILSAC rating. Oils meeting any of the three can be used. I would recommend GC.

If I'm reading this right, since it's CH-4, then it's okay, yes?

505 is for gasoline engines.

505.01 is for diesel engines.

505.01 is for Pumpe-Düse engines (BEW, BHW, BRM) which you don't have; your VWs have the venerable ALH engine which was specified to take 505.00.

Regardless of what VW wants you to use, Shell Rotella T6 is an excellent oil for your cars; if the engines are healthy there's no reason to do anything less but the factory 10k mile OCI (and likely you can extend it out very easily if your driving style is appropriate).

From my experience with ALH-engined TDIs running Rotella T6, it tends to slip past the turbocharger seals a bit more easily than other 5w40 lubes so keep the cars on boost and watch your oil level. Consuming 1 - 2 liters over an OCI is normal.

Mobil 1 0w40 is another fantastic oil for them but any name-brand 5w40 diesel-spec oil will work fine.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
505.01 is for Pumpe-Düse engines (BEW, BHW, BRM) which you don't have; your VWs have the venerable ALH engine which was specified to take 505.00.

Regardless of what VW wants you to use, Shell Rotella T6 is an excellent oil for your cars; if the engines are healthy there's no reason to do anything less but the factory 10k mile OCI (and likely you can extend it out very easily if your driving style is appropriate).

From my experience with ALH-engined TDIs running Rotella T6, it tends to slip past the turbocharger seals a bit more easily than other 5w40 lubes so keep the cars on boost and watch your oil level. Consuming 1 - 2 liters over an OCI is normal.

Mobil 1 0w40 is another fantastic oil for them but any name-brand 5w40 diesel-spec oil will work fine.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease and the easy explanation!

Rotella T6 is a fantastic oil for your TDI. We've had 7 TDIs in our family ranging from 2001-2006 and Rotella T6 is a great oil for them all. I run mine at 10K intervals. I usually use Mann filters.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I also hang out on a vw forum and over there they say I don't need to have oil that says 505.1 on it for my 02 Beetle and 03 Jetta, both with the same turbo diesel engine.

We filled up my sons Beetle with Rotella T-6 synthetic 5W-40. It says on the bottle:

Meets API Service CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4/SM
Meets the performance requirements of: ACEA E9, Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2, Cummins CES 20081, Mack EO-O Premium Plus, DDC 93K218, MB Approval 228.31, Volvo VDS-4, JASO DH-2, JASO MA

So is the Rotella T-6 okay for these engines?

505.01 is not needed for the ALH motor in your 02 & 03. 04's came with the Pumpe Duse engine, which VW required 505.01

In the end... Rotella T6 is fine for the ALH engine

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Recommend you also consider Mobil 1 0W-40.

TBN is 12.5 versus 9.9 of the T-6.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

I have owned a 2006 Jetta TDI since it was new, and have been on the VW forums consistently since I purchased it. In that time, I have learned the following about oil relative to my car:

1 - The 505.01 is not a necessary condition, and in the case of 5W-30, it is neither a sufficient one.

2 - M1 ESP Delvac, M1 TDT, and Rotella T6 (all in 5W-40) are consistently "the chalk" on recommended oils for these cars.

3 - NO ONE credible, and I mean NO ONE credible recommends the use of M1 0W-40 in these engines. In the BRM engine, cam wear is a problem, and the consensus is a light 0W oil, esp one reformulated low on Zn and Phos additives, is not going to cut it.

Had you read the original post you would have seen that he has an ALH engine, in which many, many, MANY TDIers run M1 0w-40.

Last edited:
Had you read the original post you would have seen that he has an ALH engine, in which many, many, MANY TDIers run M1 0w-40.

My bad. I saw 505.01 and immediately assumed it was a BRM.

Originally Posted By: NewYorkBuck

My bad. I saw 505.01 and immediately assumed it was a BRM.

Hey no problem. Sorry about my post being so harsh. I meant it as sort of a light-hearted, eye-rolling, exasperated teacher kind of reply. (Had you read the assignment...) but humor gets lost in translation sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back