Nissan Recall Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Nissan dealers will adjust the spare tire pressure, as necessary. The recall is expected to begin May 3. Owners can contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261.

I can see if its for a faulty spare tire or wheel but issuing a recall for an under or over inflated spare? I wonder if people check their spare tires to see if it still holds air. I over-inflate the spares on the trucks just in case.

Is it really necessary for this? I thought checking tire pressure of all 4 and the spare was part of car ownership.

Last edited:
Is this what America has become? A manufacturer is so fearful of frivolous lawsuits that it feels it has to recall 125,000 cars because the spare tire might not have the correct air?
Are you KIDDING me? So Joe Blow owns his car for 6 years and never checks the spare until one day he gets a flat and now it's Nissan's fault?!

No wonder other countries shake their heads at us...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is it really necessary for this? I thought checking tire pressure of all 4 and the spare was part of car ownership.

That would be assuming people made any kind of observations as owners of the machines let alone the attention span to actually drive/operate it correctly. We have arrived at a time when low fuel lights and tire pressure monitors are the norm because owners are so unaware.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Seriously? You are assuming the average car owner knows what a tire gauge is. You would not believe how many people come in with their TPMS light on and act like the sky is falling when all they need to do is add some air.

Also I got yelled at by so many customers when I worked at Sears for checking their spare tire pressure when I did the rest of the tires. I got called in so many times to the managers office about it, I would have to explain to them that literally 99% of the spares I checked were under 10psi and would be literally useless if the customer had a flat.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Also I got yelled at by so many customers when I worked at Sears for checking their spare tire pressure when I did the rest of the tires.

Well, how dare you enter the domain of someone else's trunk, lol.
smile.gif

You may have spotted something illegal...........
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Also I got yelled at by so many customers when I worked at Sears for checking their spare tire pressure when I did the rest of the tires.

Well, how dare you enter the domain of someone else's trunk, lol.
smile.gif

You may have spotted something illegal...........
wink.gif

Dude you have no idea the stuff I have seen in peoples cars.

Blame the sue happy mericans. The Gobmint forced the TPMS on manufactures beacause of these same lazy dummies. I been in a few times because my light was on for a false reading. It's just another part that will fail after the warranty is up. I don't know how people I'm behind on a daily basis, that their tires a good 10 psi under pressure.

[/quote]Dude you have no idea the stuff I have seen in peoples cars.[/quote]

LOL
O, I believe ya. Surprised that a spare could even be found in some trunks.
smile.gif

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story."

March 8, 2013 - Nissan received a report from a dealer of a spare tire rapid deflation while stored in the trunk. Nissan initiated an investigation into this report. Nissan commenced a yard audit and dealer inspection activity to determine if there were any additional incidents. Nissan also contacted the spare tire supplier, Maxxis, and asked it to investigate.

Analysis of the incident spare tire revealed that the tire had been significantly over-inflated, compromising its structural integrity. As a result of the increased temperature in the trunk, combined with the over-inflation condition, the tire lost structural integrity resulting in rapid deflation.

Nissan confirmed that the spare tire inflation machine used in the manufacture of MY 2013 Altima vehicles at the Canton plant had a malfunctioning pressure regulator, and the pressure gauge used to check pressure was not calibrated correctly. These issues were corrected on March 26, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back