Best way to glue plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A piece of plastic broke off the center console in the Honda. It's the part that keeps it closed. I have the piece but am trying to find out the best way to re-attach it. Crazy glue? Is there anything stronger I could use that would do a better job? It's a very small piece of plastic, maybe about an inch long.

Gorilla Glue or Super Glue, but FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. So many people use that stuff wrong. If used properly, it is ridiculously strong.

^ Thanks dparm! Will do.
cheers3.gif

My favorite is JB Quick Weld. It's nearly as tough as the normal version but cures in five minutes.

Originally Posted By: buster
A piece of plastic broke off the center console in the Honda. It's the part that keeps it closed. I have the piece but am trying to find out the best way to re-attach it. Crazy glue? Is there anything stronger I could use that would do a better job? It's a very small piece of plastic, maybe about an inch long.

A lot of interior plastics are ABS-based. Visit your local hardware store for ABS pipe cement.

What about epoxy? I need to pick some up to restick the molding on roof of my car. Dont know if its something you could use.

Originally Posted By: Carbuff
With Gorilla Glue, the surfaces are supposed to be damp...

I believe that Gorilla Glue foams all over the place when it sets. That is not something I would want with my car.

Jet Super is amazing stuff. I used it to glue my front bumper back on two years ago and it has held - which is amazing for Chicago's street parking. It is watery and dries clear, so it would be tough to spot.

I usually just replace broken plastic, since gluing it back together usually fails. I happen to have had something plastic break under the hood last night, and while i could glue it back together, I would expect it to break again if I did that sine the plastic is almost 18 years old and subject to heat, and brittle. Inside the car's interior, you do have a better chance, but for $10 I'm probably just going to buy a new part.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I usually just replace broken plastic, since gluing it back together usually fails. I happen to have had something plastic break under the hood last night, and while i could glue it back together, I would expect it to break again if I did that sine the plastic is almost 18 years old and subject to heat, and brittle. Inside the car's interior, you do have a better chance, but for $10 I'm probably just going to buy a new part.

Excellent point. However, some parts are just not available especially on old cars. Ask me how i know.
smile.gif
This is where a 3-D printer would be helpful.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I saturate fiberglass roving with super glue across the break on the back side. Can make it stronger than the surrounding plastic if one so chooses.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Excellent point. However, some parts are just not available especially on old cars. Ask me how i know.
smile.gif
This is where a 3-D printer would be helpful.
smile.gif

I agree! But this particular part is for a 1995 car and was used on cars from 1991-2003 and I'm reasonably sure that most junkyards will have a 2001-2002 car that I can use as a donor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back