Oil overfilled half a quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my oil changed today... I think they overfilled it half a quart. Capacity is 4.5 quarts. It is the car in my sig. 3.5 liter v-6. Is half a quart enough with this engine to cause a problem in anyway?

How MUCH of an overfill becomes a problem would depend on the design of the crankcase, but I can't imagine ½ a quart being an issue on ANY motor. On the 4.6L in the Mercury Marauder, there isn't an issue until it's something like 2 quarts overfull.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
What makes you think it is over filled?

Well they didn't leave the left over oil in the car.(like they do every time they don't overfill) And I checked it earlier and looked a little overfull...hard to tell really well with brand new oil though.

This is likely not a problem.

With a warm engine, quickly shut-off the motor and IMMEDIATELY remove the dipstick. See if there are a lot of air bubbles on the dipstick that might be a sign of aeration due to overfilling.

Why not check the dip stick?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 2James1
No potential damage to oil pan gasket or valve cover gaskets?(just making sure)

No. It was common years ago at full service stations for the attendants to "short stick" to sell customers a qt of oil, the engines didn't know the difference.

Anything more than a qt overfill in a sump the size of yours may be a issue but not 16oz.

Originally Posted By: Trav

No. It was common years ago at full service stations for the attendants to "short stick" to sell customers a qt of oil, the engines didn't know the difference.

Wait, wasn't that supposed to be a quart of air?

My Buick LeSabre says 4.5 quarts in the owner's manual, but 5 quarts is at the full mark. I go with 5 quarts. I've even had 6 quarts in there with no ill affects - but I went back to 5 quarts because a buddy of mine told me that I might be bumping the crankshaft a little bit with 6 quarts when I accelerate from a stop.

I have overfilled the oil by one-half quart on the wife'2005 since it was new.Car does not use any oil in the first 4k miles after each change.

My Outback's manual says it takes 4.5 with a filter change.

So much easier to just dump in a full 5 quart jug. Hasn't hurt a thing.

You can also use the leaf blower to pre-oil the entire engine each morning in order to ensure the engine lasts a million miles.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

You can also use the leaf blower to pre-oil the entire engine each morning in order to ensure the engine lasts a million miles.
wink.gif

And it doubles as a supercharger as well.

Originally Posted By: widman
This is how you can take it out

Oh wow, I'd like to see a UOA after doing that.

Ever tried that with your Corvair?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back