,45 ACP - small primers versus large

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this one on the Practically Shooting forum (but not too much activity there) so I thought I would post it here too and glean your thoughts:

I see quite a bit of new brass with small primer pockets instead of the traditional large ones. Is this something like the PPC cartridge where more efficiency is gained by using small primers or was this a "supply and demand" change due to the lack of primers so there is more versatility?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Primers aren't a bigger is better deal.

The pressure curve and burn rate, depending on desired load characteristic, is heavily influenced by primer size, especially in handgun loads.

It is purely part of the loads recipe.

But, based on this, I would imagine if they designed the brass internally and selected the powder and bullet weight around a smaller primer to cut down costs only.

i have found zero diffrerence other than the size. when i encounter one, i throw it in a container till i have enough to justify the changeover to SP. then i load them up in one batch, usually about 3-500.

i use these loads mostly for lost brass matches and when i dont want to pick up brass, like whne its raining and muddy

I've reloaded both.

Never noticed a difference.

Then again I'm loading plinking rounds.
They all go "bang".

The .45 ACP isn't a hot cartridge to begin with. That being said, when you are changing any reloading component start from square 1 when you change anything.

And yes, I think it has something to do with supply lines.
Manufacturing several Million (or tens of millions) of something yearly is different from just rolling a few.
Having to stock just 1 type of primer for manufacturing multiple lines of ammunition is easier.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Primers aren't a bigger is better deal.

The pressure curve and burn rate, depending on desired load characteristic, is heavily influenced by primer size, especially in handgun loads.

It is purely part of the loads recipe.

But, based on this, I would imagine if they designed the brass internally and selected the powder and bullet weight around a smaller primer to cut down costs only.

True, but .45ACP has traditionally been a large pistol primer so I was curious as to why the switch to small pistol primers. The PPC cartridge did this as the small primers were more efficient than large and so I wondered if it was that or economy.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Just make sure you are not getting 45GAP cartridge mixed up, especially if reloading.

Smoky

Definitely ACPs; there has been a shift of late to small primers in these (all of mine are large though).

Great. Something else oddball to watch out for.

I remember back in the day at the range I worked at, .41AE would get mixed in with the .40. They were close enough in size to make it most of the way through the reloaders they had but would lock up the machine as it went into the dies.

The guy that ran the machines HATED .41AE and would destroy any brass he found instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back