Weird weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
When cold air and moisture meet, often times the result is snow. However, sometimes it can be sleet or freezing rain. When the air is not so cold, rain is the result.

I traveled north about 150 miles for a work appointment yesterday. Mind you the snow where I live has been gone for weeks. When I arrived, they still had a foot of snow on the ground and it was...SNOWING. 20 miles south and no snow...but there it was the middle of winter...freaked me out (temp was 30 degrees). They're predicting temps in the 60's there by the weekend...should melt a lot of it. But still to have that much snow still on the ground this time of year is highly unusual.

Natural cycles. One extreme to the other. Look at weather history for the last 100 years and everything old is new again and vice versa. We just went through a temperature and weather extreme cycle with some of the worst severe weather in history in the US over the last few years, and this year it's quiet.

I feel like I am in San Diego. Pittsburgh has had beautiful weather all week, and the forecast for the next few days looks just as nice. Highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s and not a cloud in the sky.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Global warming.

That is soooo passé. Where have you been?
It's now called CLIMATE CHANGE.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I feel like I am in San Diego. Pittsburgh has had beautiful weather all week, and the forecast for the next few days looks just as nice. Highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s and not a cloud in the sky.

I am about 5 or so hours east of you and its lining up to look beautiful this weekend, isnt it! I wonder when the rain and cold (?) will move through.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
2nd coldest spring on record.

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/us-headed-for-the-coldest-spring-on-record/

That's a pretty ridiculous website. Around here accurate records only go back 150 years or so; just a drop in the bucket and not much of an indicator of long term weather cycles. Websites like that are examples of drawing conclusions from extremely limited, incomplete data. It panders to those with a myopic agenda, nothing more.

I put that up there with the Old Farmers Almanac who, for this week, is predicting sunny and thunderstorms for my area (we've had 6 inches of snow in the last two days). Just like the Old Farmers Almanac, your website is good for entertainment value only.

Last year we went from mild winter to death heat summer within about a week. No spring rain, no cradle temperature rise...just straight into the frying pan. This year....record lows, uber rainfall.....nice temps...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

That's a pretty ridiculous website. Around here accurate records only go back 150 years or so; just a drop in the bucket and not much of an indicator of long term weather cycles. Websites like that are examples of drawing conclusions from extremely limited, incomplete data. It panders to those with a myopic agenda, nothing more.

Same thing with the Global Warming, err Climate Change crowd. The Earth has been here a lot longer than we have. And it's been a whole lot warmer and a whole lot cooler along the way. IIRC when they did core samples at the Antartic or the North Pole they have seen the natural cycles. When your very existence (via grants, etc) needs to support the doomsday scenario you will try anything to pin it on that scenario so you can get more money for research, keep your job, etc.

I think we're having normal weather. Though the cold weather was around a bit longer than usual - unlike last year, when nature took a start, then got whalloped by freezing weather - I think we'll have a good year for fruits and crops. Things are budding and popping out of the ground as healthy as ever.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/05/09/quiet-tornado-season/2148075/

I've been looking at the longer term time frame on the weather models and it looks like the storm systems and the jet stream will move well to the north, and the mid latitude high pressure associated with summertime will be moving into North America over the next few weeks. Higher temps to be expected. Pretty crazy weather considering the historic severe storms over the past decade in the US each Spring. Despite the late spring snows, this has been a calm spring. Lets hope ti stays that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back