Mobil 1 delvac le 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Most Walmarts carry this LE 5W-30 oil.

Ive never seen this oil at any walmart. They carry the Delvac 15w40 and thats it.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Most Walmarts carry this LE 5W-30 oil.

I've never seen it at all.

I'm intrigued, if it can be (eventually) had locally. However, I suspect the price will be very steep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'm intrigued, if it can be (eventually) had locally. However, I suspect the price will be very steep.

It seems they're playing around with the product lines a little more than even the 5w-30 LE. Now, there's a Delvac Elite line (aside from Delvac Elite 222 0w-30) that includes a 10w-30 and 15w-40 in blends. Oddly enough, the Delvac Elite 10w-30 appears to be only CJ-4, whereas the 15w-40 is CJ-4/SM.

As for prices, I might have to do some calling. I do know that the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is about $6.50 a litre up here right now, which is quite good as far as synthetics go, particularly if it isn't a Walmart rollback. It's on sale at the distributor, but they only shaved twenty-five cents or so per litre. Then again, $6.50 on sale versus $6.75 regular is better than Walmart's $10.88 per jug of PYB on rollback versus their $25 per jug regular, but I digress.

It will be cheaper than the batch I had shipped from the UK!
If this is real, it will be the first ACEA E6 oil sold in North America. This is important because E6 oils have a max P of 800ppm and the common CJ4 oils are max 1200ppm. So E6 oils are more similar to C3 oils (which have a very weak TBN generally) than CJ4 oils, and can be used in a vehicle calling for C3 if one is willing to risk the faster ash buildup (1.0% vs 0.6-0.8%).
They did de-rate the LE a bit - when it came out it had a TBN of 12.6, now it is 10.0 (but when I tested my batch it was only 9.6 - probably with the D4739 method).

Charlie

what would be some advantages and disadvantages of using this rather than a full synthetic 5W-30 like Mobil 1 in a passenger car?

I have a 2011 golf TDI that requires the low saps oil. I trieddifferent heavy-duty oils but notice a little bit more drag and worse gas mileage with the 5W 40 oils like delvac esp monik 1 tdt. I wanted a little more protection but with lower viscosity. I want to find this oil. I am opposite of expert but think gasoline passenger cars would do better with regular synthetic oils. I think diesels do better with higher hths and specific diesel package. Many gasoline oils have more additives like calcium and even higher bases numbers then cj4 diesel oils.

This LE does have decent TBN, as far as CJ-4 oils go. It's going to have an HTHS of 3.5 or greater. I'd suggest it would be a reasonable choice for someone who were looking for a bit more HTHS than a standard 5w-30 PCMO. It might have a little more zinc than the average PCMO, but as m37charlie points out, its E6 rating has a lower phosphorous upper limit.

Anyone know the HTHS value of Mobil delvac 1 LE 5w30? I can get it for $140.32 + tax for a case of 4 Gallons at my local mobil 1 distributor in Austin, TX. They order it and get it in within a week. I know its a little pricey at $35/gallon. I want to try it in a CAT powered generator and my 6.0 powerstroke. Comparing the delvac to Amsoil 5w30 HDD, it looks like the Delvac is a tick thicker, and amsoil has a bit higher TBN, other than that the specs look similar. Amsoil lists their HTHS at 3.5, and curious about the delvac, though I presume it's at least 3.5. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Oh btw, seems like mobil 1 did their research on pricing and very competitive with Amsoil HDD. If you have a. PC membership with Amsoil the HDD comes to $125, but with tax and shipping your at $151 total. The delvac 1 LE 5w30 from my austin distributor, Allied Sales, is $151 with the tax included for 4 gallons.

I'm leaning towards the Delvac with its Cj4 rating certification. Amsoil appears to be CHi4? Thoughts on which is the better oil?

The "better oil" is the on that you feel more comfortable with, and/or can get at a lower cost. Both are likely to far outlast any typical OCI plan. The HDD is proven; it's stellar in many applications. Mobil's reputation for HDEO is outstanding. I cannot fathom either of these disappointing in terms of performance. ROI, OTOH, is up to you.

But, rather than the typical BITOG manutia, why not know rather than guess? Buy some, try it, report back with your own UOA data!

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
Anyone know the HTHS value of Mobil delvac 1 LE 5w30?

It meets ACEA E6, E7, and E9 standards so it's >3.5cst

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
Anyone know the HTHS value of Mobil delvac 1 LE 5w30? I can get it for $140.32 + tax for a case of 4 Gallons at my local mobil 1 distributor in Austin, TX. They order it and get it in within a week. I know its a little pricey at $35/gallon. I want to try it in a CAT powered generator and my 6.0 powerstroke. Comparing the delvac to Amsoil 5w30 HDD, it looks like the Delvac is a tick thicker, and amsoil has a bit higher TBN, other than that the specs look similar. Amsoil lists their HTHS at 3.5, and curious about the delvac, though I presume it's at least 3.5. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Oh btw, seems like mobil 1 did their research on pricing and very competitive with Amsoil HDD. If you have a. PC membership with Amsoil the HDD comes to $125, but with tax and shipping your at $151 total. The delvac 1 LE 5w30 from my austin distributor, Allied Sales, is $151 with the tax included for 4 gallons.

I'm leaning towards the Delvac with its Cj4 rating certification. Amsoil appears to be CHi4? Thoughts on which is the better oil?

Do you know if they will ship?? My locals want to add on a "fee" since I'm not a commercial account.

Finding a local Mobil distributor in OK wasn't too hard. Went to another dealer but they didn't carry the 5w30 yet. They seemed to think they would get it but haven't see it on their order lists.

Found Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 at TA truck stop Russell, IL. Up by the border IL/WI on I94. I'll run it and post the UOA. They also had Delvac Elite 10W-30.

Hi,
I've been using this lubricant since November 2014 in a 2.5Ltr Mitsubishi TD. So far I've covered about 12kkms (around 7.k miles) - consumption has been zero over a series of high speed long distance trips

As suggested earlier the HTHS viscosity will be at least 3.5 - like most Delvac synthetic engine lubricants it maintains it's viscosity very well and going by "blotter" testing it handles soot very well indeed

It is not easy to get in Australia and my supply was made in France

Not to go off topic, but seeing it's also SN approved, how would this work in a gasoline engine as an alternative to Formula ESP 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back