When to change compressor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new compressor says to change the oil after 100hrs or 30 days. I've had it a couple maybe 3 months but it does not have 2 hrs on it.

Let it go or change? I've got some Amsoil compressor oil to put in it.

I wish I had the time to do things like this. My compressor oil change has been on my to do list for over 20 years and never has been done.

I inherited a 60 Gal Ingersol Rand Industrial. I was looking for the best oil and everyone kept point back to Ingersoll's own synthetic 30 oil. Found a 4 pack on Amazon.

I don't use mine a lot so it's every Fall it gets changed along with the gear oil in my Jet Planer.

I would think you would be a-ok to rack up a few more hours before you change it out!! Unless it's part of a break in schedule; if so maybe call the manufacturer and see what they say.

There is a theoretical and a pragmatic answer to this question.
Without doing an oil analysis to determine the degradation of the oil in the unit, you have to use best practice. Oil does deteriorate over time, through oxidation, moisture contamination etc. So, to avoid problems on a unit that gets little use the oil should be changed every 6 months, thats what I do.
Alternatively you could adopt the pragmatic view, taken by a few of the respondents above and apart from checking level, just leave it! You may be lucky and never have a problem, who knows?!
My mechanical sensibility compels me to follow best practice, preventative maintenance, may cost me more in time and money but I have piece of mind.

I would go ahead a change it now to get any leftover shavings and filings out of it from its manufacture. It should be good for a long time once it has the Amsoil in it.

We change our shop compressor's oil every 4 months with Mobil Rarus 427. The manufacturer specs Rarus 827 once a year, but it is about 10 times more expensive.

I have a 30 gal Powermate used quite often with my welding business. I use Lowes semi syn 30 wt and mix in 2oz of M1 10-30. I change it every 2 years.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I would go ahead a change it now to get any leftover shavings and filings out of it from its manufacture. It should be good for a long time once it has the Amsoil in it.

W.

what he said

If its new let it break in on the oil that's already in it. Then once you switch to Amsoil you likely won't need to change it more than once every couple years depending on usage.
I've got 12 5.5 hp inline and v-twin air compressors. These things are run 10 hours a day and run outside. I use Amsoil and change it once a year. The most important thing to maintain is the air filter on the pump. As long as no contaminants get into the pump the oil will last nearly forever because the additives don't deplete.
The oil may go grey however that's no biggie. Be sure to drain it after every use and be sure to let it get hot enough to boil off any moisture in the oil.
When I change the oil in our compressors the oil itself feels the same between my fingers as the new oil does. Bot really scientific but I haven't had a pump fail yet.
Amsoil makes the best compressor oil on earth. Our compressors start at -40 and run all day at 100f,the most brutal duty cycle possible,and Amsoil takes it in stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back