Jeep 4.7 & 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how reliable the Chrysler 4.7 V8 is? I was looking at a used high mileage (118k) Grand Cherokee.

Now that the warmer weather is here, I'm being tempted by 4wd Jeeps. I'd like to have a 4wd vehicle to go on the beach with.

From an economic standpoint, it's not a good idea to sell the Accord for any Jeep product. I'm putting that aside and going with what I want. I also have my wife's 3, which we carpool in on a daily basis.

I've been looking at 1999-2005. I'm staying within the Accord's value. I don't want to have to spend more money than what I receive from the Honda.

I was leaning towards the 4.7 or I6 4.0, being those seem to be the most praised engines within the family.

I can speak only for the 4.0 engine. Its relatively bullet proof except for a problem with cracked heads in certain years and piston skirt failures in certain years. The 4.0 has enough power unless you are looking to tow.

Given the MPG on the 4.0 I can only imagine the 4.7 would be worse.

The 4.0 is a more rugged and durable motor than the 4.7, but it is terribly inefficient. V8 gas mileage in a 6 cylinder package. I do have to say that the low end power is outstanding from the 4.0, and I wouldn't hesitate to tow with it for even one second. I would say that the two motors probably will pull down similar fuel economy numbers, in fact I may even give an edge to the 4.7 being that it is a much more modern design.

Before we got married, the wife had an 03 GC with the 4.7. I'd say it was a good engine, smooth, plenty of power, and never had any problems with it. Only thing that ever needed replacing on it was the power steering pump. IIRC, gas mileage was usually around 16-17 MPG, so not horrible for a V8 with full time 4WD I guess.

I have a '00 Dakota with the 4.7, 127k and no problems at all.

You might hear some say its a sludge motor but if the oil was change on a regular basis it won't be a problem.

One thing, like most V8's it likes to rev.

My son had 2 different 4.7 engines , 1st one he traded with 147,000 mi. 2nd was in the truck when he wrecked it had 196,000 mi.

Originally Posted By: buster
Does anyone know how reliable the Chrysler 4.7 V8 is? I was looking at a used high mileage (118k) Grand Cherokee.

Now that the warmer weather is here, I'm being tempted by 4wd Jeeps. I'd like to have a 4wd vehicle to go on the beach with.

From an economic standpoint, it's not a good idea to sell the Accord for any Jeep product. I'm putting that aside and going with what I want. I also have my wife's 3, which we carpool in on a daily basis.

I've been looking at 1999-2005. I'm staying within the Accord's value. I don't want to have to spend more money than what I receive from the Honda.

I was leaning towards the 4.7 or I6 4.0, being those seem to be the most praised engines within the family.

Buster I have a Durango with the 4.7L and a XJ with the 4.0L . What were your specific questions for both engines? I can tell you I have been very happy with both engines . Reliable motors especially the 4.0L . I firmly believe that preventative maintenance is the key with these engines. PM me and ill answer any questions you have.

I've got two Jeeps with the 4.0 engine. As mentioned, certain years have a small percentage of problems. My neighbor has a Jeep with the 4.7 that he's had for sale for half a year. When he honestly tells them the gas mileage, they leave.

The bad heads in the 4.0 were solved by 2002 in all Jeep products.

Originally Posted By: buster

The Grand Cherokee was updated/changed for 2005 and there were reliability issues. If it was me buying, I'd stick with the 02-04 GC.

Either engine will serve well; I'd give the edge on reliability to the 4.0. I can't speak for the 4.7 but have heard it's a good motor if you change the oil (as mentioned above).

In my GC, at 60mph I can pull down 24mpg on the highway at sea level, and at 75 it's more like 18 so speed plays a large part in mpg. It does use a lot of gas around town, expect 16 with a light foot. I've had my GC since 18k, with no powertrain issues. I've replaced the front track bar, the shocks and steering stabilizer but that's all it has needed.

The transmissions on this vehicle like fresh fluid. I've been doing a pan drop/filter change/refill every 30 or 40k and have had no issues.

Full time 4wd is a weaker system than the part time system; so to get the better system look for the shifter shown at this link:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/st_shifter.jpg

Jeeps do like their maintenance but are reliable if taken care of.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it. Thax I will definitely hit you up with any questions I come across. Thanks again!

The 4.7s are sludgers and there's a lot of them in the junkyard for blow head gaskets it seems.

The 99-01 4.0s had head cracking problems and are more prone to piston skirt failure.

The 4.7 gets slighly better mileage in real world conditions.

Definitely get the 4.7. In a WJ (99-04 Grand Cherokee), they get about the same gas mileage. The 4.7 has a better trans behind it and is a lot smoother and nicer. Take care of them and they last. If you overheat them, they like to warp heads and blow head gaskets.

The 4.0 is pretty durable, except for the rare piston skirt problem and the 99 - early 02 ones occasionally developing a crack in the cylinder head. It's got enough power around town as long as you don't expect it to be fast, but it's utterly gutless on the highway if you live anywhere hilly or expect to be able to pass people. Compared to my GC with the big V8, every time I drive my mom's 4.0, it feels just as peppy in normal driving, but if I start to put my foot into it, the result is very disappointing.

The 4.7L does have a much better transmission behind it. That's enough of a reason right there for me to look only at V-8 Grand Cherokees. I also agree with someone else: stay with 2004 and earlier. My parents had to lemon-law a 2005 Grand because of persistent rear axle failures. Jeep Corporate did everything they could to avoid the issue and they eventually hired an attorney and got their money back plus the cost of modifications to it (to make it towable behind their motorhome). They replaced that Jeep with the Acura that my family now owns, and eventually went back to the brand with a 2006 TJ Rubicon and more recently, a 2012 JK Rubicon.

The 4.0L is a dog. I've never liked that engine personally. It's reliable, yes. But so are dump trucks. The 4.7L V-8 is very smooth, also very reliable, and you'll enjoy it MUCH better.

My gf has a '97 Cherokee 4.0 5-manual, purchased new, with 240,000 miles on it, and never had an engine related issue. She stays on top of her maintenance, though. Averages around 20mpg in mixed driving. Don't know how that compares with the Grand Cherokee.

That said, as a fellow Accord owner with a vested interest in seeing how your coupe does over the next 100k, I say fight the urge and, "Don't sell!".
wink.gif

The Cherokee will get better city mileage because of the 5 speed and it being about 1000 lbs lighter. And the weight difference makes it not a dog with the 4.0 as well.

First read this if your looking for a WJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/ultimate-wj-grand-cherokee-buyers-guide-1271979/

Here is another good source

http://www.wjjeeps.com/

I have an 02 bought new. Laredo with 4.7 and the NV242 Selectrac

The 4.7 is not a sludge engine and they do have a head gasket problem. They do not like to be overheated and their are a lot of clueless idiots who drive them when they have issues, like fan relays that [censored] out and they can overheat.

They do have issues if neglected. Problems like the HVAC for the dual zone heater, heater cores fail, pinion seals on axles, brakes(no bid deal to fix brakes on these)etc

I would highly recommend you be [censored] selective because they can become money pits, look for one owner with maintenance records.
Avoid lifted ones(usually means beat on.

Mine has been good, one issue with AC( leak fixed on filter drier)one brake job, had to replace rear calipers since one froze on me. Two sets of plugs, normal oil/filters, PCV and T-case, axles service with Amsoil.

02-04 use PS Pump for hydraulic fan.

Buy one where they have records of services.

They are really nice rigs when sorted, very comfortable to drive, very quick will run 15.0 in the 1/4 and figure 18-20 mpg highway 17mpg day in day out.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
will run 15.0 in the 1/4

[censored]. A 4.7 HO in a WJ will run a 15.2 @ 90. A standard 4.7 is solidly in the mid 15s.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
The Cherokee will get better city mileage because of the 5 speed and it being about 1000 lbs lighter. And the weight difference makes it not a dog with the 4.0 as well.

I was really surprised at the difference between a WJ and XJ with the 4.0! My Cherokee feels like a rocket compared to a wj. If I'm 10 or 15 and stand on the gas pedal (or even taking off from a stoplight), I'll spin at least one of the rear wheels, when I have stock sized tires on. At highway speeds - even with the big tires - if I mash it, it does take off pretty quick!

The WJ I drove was smooth ... WAY smoother than my Cherokee ever was. But, the 4.0 was straining. Still, I'd drive one every day if I could. Punching it on the highway wasn't as fun as my cherokee. I'll take a hit in power and gas mileage for sheer reliability.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Originally Posted By: VNTS
will run 15.0 in the 1/4

[censored]. A 4.7 HO in a WJ will run a 15.2 @ 90. A standard 4.7 is solidly in the mid 15s.

What about your niner? Just curious. I've seen 3 or 4 of those for sale locally recently! Someone I know in the local Jeep club just drove to Iowa to pick up a clean one.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What about your niner? Just curious. I've seen 3 or 4 of those for sale locally recently! Someone I know in the local Jeep club just drove to Iowa to pick up a clean one.

A niner is pretty much a dead match for a 4.7 HO in terms of speed. Stock is a 15.2 @ 89 - 90 in the 1/4 and 6.8 0 - 60. If I can get good traction, I should be able to run mid - high 14s in mine, 0-60 is right about 6 flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back