2010 F-150 FX4 - The First 100,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to believe that in only 2 years and 8 months, I have managed to roll 100,000 miles on my FX4, but here we are. A few thoughts about the first 100K:

It has had 116 quarts of oil run through the 5.4L engine with 68% of it being synthetic (Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20) and 32% of conventional (Mobil Super 5000 5W-20). It has only had 5W-20 in it as designed by the Ford engineers, 5W-20 has caused ZERO issues with the engine even when towing in 100+ heat for extended times and the UOAs reflect stellar performance. It has had 16 Motorcraft, FL-820s oil filters installed as well as 2 Motorcraft and 1 Napa Gold air filters. It has averaged 16.8MPG which equates to 5,952 gallons of fuel with 92% of it being E10 (87 octane) and 8% being E85 (106 octane).

It has towed at least 45,000 of the 100K miles meaning that it has been used as a truck about 45% of the time and is likely more than many of the trucks on the road today average. The transmission, transfer case, front and rear axles have had their fluid (and filter where applicable) changed two times and the power steering and brake fluid has been changed once. It has had two sets of tires; the OEM Pirelli Scorpions which lasted about 51,000 miles and Michelin LTX MS/2 which now have 49,000 on them and appear to have nearly 65% more life in them.

It has had a set of brakes installed (front only), but a problem with the driver’s front caused the Wagner TQs to wear out and thus a new set of Ford rotors and pads were installed. The rear brakes still have plenty of pad material left and the brakes have very good stopping power.

Mechanically, the only issues have been the rear main seal had to be changed at about 16,600 miles as it was installed incorrectly at the factory. The other thing that failed was a fan relay at about 98,500 miles. Other than that, nothing else has caused any problems. The sparkplugs, serpentine belt, and coolant will all be changed shortly.

All in all for this first 100,000 miles, it has been a great truck and am looking forward to the next 100K (and well beyond that).

99,999:

20130503210632.jpg

100,000:

20130503210729.jpg

probably 500k+ 2010_fx4 when you go to change your spark plugs consider going with a one-piece spart plug made by champion. they will not break like the two piece plugs the next time you go to change them. i used them in 2 2004 5.4's and loved them!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Is that a trans temp gauge?

Yes; it is.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
probably 500k+ 2010_fx4 when you go to change your spark plugs consider going with a one-piece spart plug made by champion. they will not break like the two piece next time you go to change them. i used them in 2 2004 5.4's and loved them!

My engine has 1 piece sparkplugs from the factory. I think Ford did a "revision" sometime in 2007 to eliminate the 2 piece design so no worries for me about the horrors of the dreaded "crunch".
grin.gif

I had a 2010 5.4L with a sparkplug that let go. Took the threads with it. Still under powertrain warranty but Ford denied the claim as the sparkplug was defective.

Nice to know that the F150 holds up so well; we're considering an F150 for our next vehicle sometime in the next year. Nice job!

Special thanks for posting all your UOA as well as all your other data. Great trucks!

Excellent. The highway miles definitely helped. Good luck with the truck - lots with this kind of use (maybe not as rapid mileage increase) that get to 500k+.

Well done sir ! I have an 2010 STX with the 2V 4.6, purchased in 2011 and am approaching that same milestone any day now. I average from 40-50k a year. Sadly, I have not been as diligent as you have in recording all the consumables
smile.gif
but it has all been done,on time, every time. With the exception of a cold weather valve train tick on passenger side, and currently chasing a lean issue (without throwing parts at it ) it has been trouble free. My last F150 ,an '02, went 200K in 4 yrs, zero troubles. Living in the mtns as I do, tires wear a little faster, on my second set now and will need more by winter time. Brakes suffer the same fate and have a set of heavy duty slotted and cross drilled front rotors waiting for a sunny day to do it. Maybe others will chime in with their first 100k, 200k or more. That is, if the OP is okay with that
smile.gif
again, well done, keep it up !

Great write up!

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Is that a trans temp gauge?

Yes; it is.

I'm curious about the transmission temperature gauge too. Is it a dummy gauge like most of Ford's coolant gauges or does it actually move up and down within the normal range?

Originally Posted By: travlnman
Can't speak for the OP, but mine creeps up slowly as the temp goes up..so I would say it's a normal gauge.

+1 - it is a working gauge and fluctuates with the temperature. I tow quite a bit and I have seen it go slightly above the normal temp when towing through the mountains.

Great report about the truck. And a second "thank you" for posting all of your UOAs. This has to be one of the most documented non-fleet engines in history!

great job, and glad to hear that its used as a truck SHOULD be used at least half the time
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back