Irresponsible Gun Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted before on a guy in our club who faced 11 firearm charges for "allowing" his firearms to be stolen from his caravan while at an away shoot (charges got turfed, and he was awarded costs against the Police, missed representing country, blah blah).

Another local, O/S for a holiday came home to find he'd been burgled, and his firearm registration papers stolen...

A week or so later, wakes up to see a strange guy walking through yard, confronts guy, only to find that there are 4...is knocked unconscious, and awakes to find that his rifle safe has been pried from it's fixings, and gone, pistol safe has been tampered with.

Police attend, and a hat is found, which they get DNA from, and identify an individual who informs them that his hat was either lost or stolen, and that he hadn't seen it in months...they accept that.

A few weeks later, they finish off, and steal the pistol safe. He keeps getting threatening phone calls in the wee hours...

No suspects, nothing can be done about the phone calls.

Bloke is lucky that he didn't get charged himself

not a chance it will happen here. Theft of a firearm here will get you many years in the lockup. And why can they not trace the phone calls?

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
And why can they not trace the phone calls?

Exactly my first question.

At least they had a safe to steal. What is laughable is the striving to find excuses why it is "good" to leave guns out when 150k of them are stolen each year in our country. That's just irresponsible.

Given that the UK has 4x the violent crime of the USA, and Australia likely shares many of the same genes in a much less diluted manner than the US, that same inferior behavioral aspect may remain truer there than here.

Why would they take the guy's word that the hat at the crime scene had been stolen ?

Why did the bloke who rammed my car at 4 times the BAC, riding a motorbike on a suspended licence, left the scene of the crime, lied to Police only get a $300 fine (1/2 my deductible) for DUI, plus his licence suspension extended, with the first we heard was seeing the outcome in the paper, never called to give statements, as witnesses etc.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Why would they take the guy's word that the hat at the crime scene had been stolen ?

Why did the bloke who rammed my car at 4 times the BAC, riding a motorbike on a suspended licence, left the scene of the crime, lied to Police only get a $300 fine (1/2 my deductible) for DUI, plus his licence suspension extended, with the first we heard was seeing the outcome in the paper, never called to give statements, as witnesses etc.

Investigation requires work....no worries just crank out the paper work and you have a result which makes the system happy with itself. Lazy coppers are everywhere.

Smoky

its getting to the point where shooting intruders on the spot is a better and more reliable option than letting police handle things.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Investigation requires work....no worries just crank out the paper work and you have a result which makes the system happy with itself. Lazy coppers are everywhere.

Smoky

Most certainly...my personal experience in the last few years is that as soon as you answer the "do you have insurance ?" question in the affirmative, they glaze over and want to be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back