Use of Delvac 1300 15w-40 in aircooled VW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that Delvac diesel oil is on sale at my local store and I read on the Mobil oil website (Mobil makes Delvac 1300)that the Phosphorous level in Delvac 1300 is 0.12 % (verses 0.08% for new regular oils)

From Mobile's website....

"ZDDP Levels of Mobil Delvac
What are the current ZDDP levels for Mobil Delvac 15W-40? Is it recommended for classic engines with flat tappet camshafts?
-- Corey VanBlarcom, Rochester, N.Y.

Answer:
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40, which meets API CJ-4 performance standards, has a Phosphorus limit of 0.12 wt%. With respect to your question on slider tappets, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 meets Cummins CES 20081. This indicates the oil is suitable for use in their midrange engines (with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel used in the US) which include the ISB and ISC series engines. "

I am not sure what to make of the claimed 0.12 % P level. Mobile's website reply to the question about ZDDP and Delvac seemed to me to be a dance around the true answer.

Would this oil be a good choice for my 1966 VW Bug? This car has flat lifters and I am concerend about many new oils not having enough zinc or phosphorous additvies to protect my older motor.

Does having 0.12% P really mean there is enough Zinc (or ZDDP or Phosphorous) in Delvac 1300 15w-40 for my older motor?

Advice???

It's a good choice, yes. Their vaporous answer is from their liability standpoint of not recommending for (modern) gas engines, though it's mix-fleet certified.

Originally Posted By: porvdub
Would this oil be a good choice for my 1966 VW Bug? This car has flat lifters and I am concerend about many new oils not having enough zinc or phosphorous additvies to protect my older motor.[/b]

Does having 0.12% P really mean there is enough Zinc (or ZDDP or Phosphorous) in Delvac 1300 15w-40 for my older motor?

Advice???

Go for it.

However, the Delvac claimed "limit" of 0.12% Ph doesn't mean that what it actually has, could be 1100 ppm or slightly less, but still far more than current SN passenger car oils and adequate for a '66 VW.

Shell Rotella 15w-40 seems to have the highest and most consistent ZDDP levels from the VOAs I've seen.

VW has fairly light pressure valve springs, I remember running straight 30 passenger car oil in my '64 Beetle, since it was around '80-'81 it was probably SE or SF rated. 63 MPH top speed on flat ground out of that 40 HP 1200 cc engine!

Hi,
porvdub - Yes, it will be a great choice, and a SAE30 may be better perhaps depending on the oil cooler location in your engine. HD lubricants have always performed well in VWs.

In the 1960s VWs were once the most popular selling car in OZ

Porsche FF the 356 with a HD lubricant (Shell) and they were recommended for a very long time indeed - including in the early 911s

Originally Posted By: widman
Selection of oil for flat tappets

Richard has some very good suggestions. You may have trouble finding CI-4 oils in North America, though. Last time I tried to get even a CI-4+ oil was three years ago, and the Imperial Oil distributor looked at me as if I were nuts.

It will work fine, but you can also consider using a 10w-30 if the engine is solid. I am not sure if your referring to the original engine size of 1300cc (66 model only) or if its a 40Hp 1200cc or a 15/1600cc. What is the number stamped on the block?

The 1966 is a stock 1300 cc motor, US spec. stoc cooling system, narrow fan.

my other bug is a 1600 Dual Port with wide fan, offset oil cooler.

The bottle of Delvac 1300 says.....

Meets or exceeds the requirements of CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SM,SL.

So bottle says it meets SM standard which i thought meant low zinc, bad for old motors, yet the mobile oil website says it has 0.12% P which is supposed to translate into high enough zinc for older motors.

Is this SM oil ok to use in an older car?

There are different levels allowed for the lighter oils, like 30 and below, which apparently recognise the potential for decreased oil consumption in the 40s.

Originally Posted By: porvdub
Is this SM oil ok to use in an older car?

As Shannow points out, it's fine because it's a different grade, among other reasons. 40 and 50 grades have different limitations. Secondly, this is a CJ-4/SM lube, not an SM/CF lube (or something similar). And it's not ILSAC rated. Don't worry about the SM in this case.

I would think a better choice would be Amsoil Z-Rod. That is the oil that I am currently running in my Karmann Ghia.

Zack

I have been using Rotella T6 in my 2276. (approx. 1200 zinc)

Dad is using Mag1 10-30 all-fleet in his Bugs. (approx. 1400 zinc, according to the PDS)

If there is a Tractor Supply near you, the Huskee lawnmower oil they sell also works great in an aircooled VW. I ran it for a good while in my 1915 turbo.

Hi. Happened to see this post on a search and definitely wanted to put my $.02 in. I'm in SoCal and have been using any of the popular Diesel oils in my air-cooled cars. Web Cams ok'd me using the Rotella 30 wt to break in their regrind using HD single springs and have been using the Chevron Delo 15w-40 for years. What's is nice now is the availability of the 10w-30 oils from Shell and Chevron in the SoCal area, if one so chooses a lighter oil. With no filter on a stock engine is the additive of calcium beneficial to keeping this crankcase/components clean?
Your so correct that the oem vw engine has mild springs but I believe in being cautious thus choose the robust oils.
Thanks, Bill.

Last edited:
Yes that is a good choice. I choose CI-4 first, but that will be much better than the oils of 66.

Check this for more details

VWguy, thanks for bumping this old thread, I found it an interesting read, especially the link above by Richard Widman. It answered some of my questions on when to use a CI-4 or a CJ-4 HDEOs.

It was also talked about in this BITOG thread
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3237816/CJ-4_oil_for_older_flat_tappet

And for those interested, Penrite has a technical bulletin on Zinc
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/images/PENR0138_Penrite_Zinc Tech Bulletin.pdf

Originally Posted By: Garak

Richard has some very good suggestions. You may have trouble finding CI-4 oils in North America, though. Last time I tried to get even a CI-4+ oil was three years ago, and the Imperial Oil distributor looked at me as if I were nuts.

Do you know anyone who sells the full lineup of Lucas oils?

I think they still have a CI4+ oil and they call it "Lucas Magnum."

I see it at many truck stop chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back