O ring lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 3000 psi Troy-Bilt pressure washer with a Honda gcv 190 engine. The operator manual says to lubricate the o rings on the water hose and wand connections to help seat and properly seal them, with a "petroleum or synthetic grease". What kind of grease are they speaking of? What would you recommend that can be bought at a local auto parts store or Ace hardware? Can I just use a thin layer of motor oil like one would use for a oil filter install?

Check the pool section of ACE or go to a pool supply place and look/ask for O-ring grease. It is better for the neoprene/rubber. Petroleum jelly (vaseline) is not good for the neoprene.

Dave

Could also use lube meant for swimming pool equipment o rings. Comes in small tubes and has Teflon in it IIRC. Just used some the other day.

In the Aviation industry, there are a couple of commonly used "O-Ring" lubes.

1) Dow Corning DC-4
2) Dow Corning DC-111 (called a valve lubricant on the tube)

NAPA sells a re-packaged variant of DC-4 called "Sil Glide" lubricant.

Both are listed in many maintenance and overhaul manuals as the proper lube for "O-Rings". Both are quite similar and work wonders for critical "O-Rings".

In the past, Ive used Sexauer Faucet and Stem Grease to good effect. IDK what the cuurrent equivalent would be. No NO NO! on the Pet jelly!

None of the pool o ring lubes or the super lube synthetic greas were available at my local Ace. Went to NAPA to ask about o ring grease, no one there had any recommendations. So, I went ahead and got the Sil Glyde.

Thanks

Follow up question. Is this a sort of break in one time only deal or should I lube whenever the fittings are reconnected?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
In the Aviation industry, there are a couple of commonly used "O-Ring" lubes.

1) Dow Corning DC-4
2) Dow Corning DC-111 (called a valve lubricant on the tube)

NAPA sells a re-packaged variant of DC-4 called "Sil Glide" lubricant.

Both are listed in many maintenance and overhaul manuals as the proper lube for "O-Rings". Both are quite similar and work wonders for critical "O-Rings".

Cujet, are you saying that the Dow Corning DC-4 is a Castor oil/polypropolene glycol grease with just a tiny amount of silicone in it. The Sil Glyde msds says there is less than 7-13% of "dimehyl silicone polymer WITH silica".

http://www.agscompany.com/images/stories...-%20English.pdf

Originally Posted By: fordranger03
Follow up question. Is this a sort of break in one time only deal or should I lube whenever the fittings are reconnected?

I've never heard of anyone worrying about this sort of thing, but I guess this is BITOG.

I doubt the o-rings would be neoprene. Nitrile perhaps, just spit on it.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: fordranger03

I've never heard of anyone worrying about this sort of thing, but I guess this is BITOG.

I doubt the o-rings would be neoprene. Nitrile perhaps, just spit on it.

I wouldn't have even thought about it but the owners manual says its important. I'm not gonna worry about it too much, replacing a couple of o rings if needed is cheap and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back