Homestead Air Reserve Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I go down to the FL Keys I always forget to pass by Homestead Air Reserve Base and take a photo of the F-4 Phantom on display.
Pictures are not the best quality, but luckily its was breezy that day so I could get the American flag and Phantom together.
For those who served our great nation... Thank You
34.gif

phantom8_zps15a21345.jpg
Phantom1_zps50bb6e5a.jpg
phantom888888_zps98b34ef9.jpg
phantom555555_zps19fba44c.jpg

My son was stationed there in the late 80s thru 92 with the Marines when Hurricaine Andrew hit. He worked in the glades at the intel station off Card Sound Rd.. I was there several times visiting. Now it's just a shell of what it once was.

Last edited:
Nice pics of the Phantom, we had F-4Cs and F-4E's at our local Indiana Air National Guard base from 1978 - 1991. I miss seeing and most importantly hearing them. We certainly got our moneys worth out of that platform. It was never intended to be a multi-service aircraft, but turned out to be one of the best.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
This F-4 Phantom on display (67-0267) had two Mig kills in 1972.

I'll have to check my old pictures. I was at an airshow in the early 80's and there was an F-4 there, flown in, on static display with a cuople of MIG kills in the early 70's. Might be the same tail number.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
This F-4 Phantom on display (67-0267) had two Mig kills in 1972.

I'll have to check my old pictures. I was at an airshow in the early 80's and there was an F-4 there, flown in, on static display with a cuople of MIG kills in the early 70's. Might be the same tail number.

Nope I was wrong (30 years ago). It was three MIG 21 kills in 1967, two on the same day (May 22). I couldn't read the Tail number.

Here is yours; F-4D, AF Serial No. 66-0267: Damaged by Hurricane Andrew at Homestead AFB, Florida, August 24, 1992. It was rebuilt using spare parts from two F-4Cs and placed back on display at the now renamed Homestead ARB, Florida

There is a typo in the year part of the tail number somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_B._DeBellevue#Disposition_of_aircraft

Here is an episode of dogfights that has the F-4C that I saw and perhaps yours.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BddkGoePFJA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back