My Beretta 84F

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guy`s may have read my other thread re; the .380 I just got. The finish is not bad, it has the matte Black finish. I got a price to refinish it @ $170.00 for matte Black. Is that a good price? Should I go with a blued finish? And does it hurt the resale value of the weapon to have it re finished? Thanks, I appreciate all feedback.

Ryan

$299 used, plus $170 for refinishing, sorta defeats the purpose of buying it used.

IIRC, I paid $599 ish for my 85, new.

I think I'd just shoot it and enjoy it, and if you want one that looks like new, just buy a new one.

edit: the only blued gun in this line, afaik, is the 87 (.22LR) Cheetah. All the others are matte.

If you get a chance to get an 87, go for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
$299 used, plus $170 for refinishing, sorta defeats the purpose of buying it used.

I think I'd just shoot it and enjoy it, and if you want one that looks like new, just buy a new one.

edit: the only blued gun in this line, afaik, is the 87 (.22LR) Cheetah. All the others are matte.

Thanks win. But still, $469.00 total isnt bad. I cant even find a new one, and when I do, they are around $700.00.

For that price, you could come close to getting one of the newer ceramic based finishes that would be a lot better than bluing.

$250 would probably get it matte chromed which would be even better.

You can Durakote it yourself. Check out their website, lots of colors to choose.

shoot....I used matte black spray Rustoleum on my carry PF9 and it looks great. I wore the original finsh completely off in most areas of the slide and spray-painted it. It could probably use another coat now but the Rustoleum on it is three years old and is still acceptable.

The DIY Durakote is a very good option for a better finish....depends on what purpose the firearm serves. If it's for lookin at and sometimes shootin then it deserves Durakote....if it's a workin gun, then spray it!

Thanks for the replies guy`s. I`ll probably let it go for now, unless I have trouble with the finish due to it being kept in my car. But I plan on wiping it down often so that shouldn't be a problem either.

$170 sounds reasonable for a complete refinish. I've used CCR refinishing in the past on a beat-up slide (92fs Centurion) and it came back beautifully done. I had their Cera-Hide in house black and it is a very nice finish. Depending on the condition of the frame, you may just do refinish the slide and/or barrel. Saves on shipping costs.

Originally Posted By: jhMalibu
$170 sounds reasonable for a complete refinish. I've used CCR refinishing in the past on a beat-up slide (92fs Centurion) and it came back beautifully done. I had their Cera-Hide in house black and it is a very nice finish. Depending on the condition of the frame, you may just do refinish the slide and/or barrel. Saves on shipping costs.

Luckily this place is not far from me. So no shipping would be involved.

Found one, $1400.00 on gunbroker.com

If I have a gun shipped out for refinishing I'm getting it with the CeraKote.

That stuff is darn near indestructible.

The newer coatings for firearms are downright amazing. Scratch resistant, solvent resistant, rust proof.
I've seen videos where a cerakoted firearm is spray painted, then the spray paint is dissolved in carburator cleaner with no ill effects to the cerakote.

Before you decide on anything, take a look around at some of the new coatings for firearms. Lots of colors, options, and brands to choose from.

Some of them you can do yourself if you have a spare toaster oven.

+1

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
If I have a gun shipped out for refinishing I'm getting it with the CeraKote.

That stuff is darn near indestructible.

The newer coatings for firearms are downright amazing. Scratch resistant, solvent resistant, rust proof.
I've seen videos where a cerakoted firearm is spray painted, then the spray paint is dissolved in carburator cleaner with no ill effects to the cerakote.

Before you decide on anything, take a look around at some of the new coatings for firearms. Lots of colors, options, and brands to choose from.

Some of them you can do yourself if you have a spare toaster oven.

Cerakote is more durable than Durakote but true Cerakote (the durable one) requires baking in oven....not oven used for human consumption. We made one at work with an old locker. Came out well for rifle barrels.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Found one, $1400.00 on gunbroker.com

Wow, gun prices have gone through the roof. The 87's are not made very often, but that's just crazy.

It is a nice little pistol, though, the best of the Cheetahs imho.

I bought a few guns and hot water blued em myself for about 20 bucks a gun at home. Gives a nice satin blued finish. Used Mark Lee's Express blue.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

Guy`s, a new Beretta .380 is $700.00 to $750.00. And right now no body even has any in stock. Back ordered every where.

You did just fine with your purchase. It's a Beretta....it's not like it's going to wear out. I visit my LGS's all the time here in Pa and the pickings are very slim.

Yeah, prices may come back down or maybe not....I say buy it when you see it in these times. There's nothing wrong with purchasing a used firearm and particularly a 380....most times they're carried a lot and fired very little.

Get it refinished if you want or not....it'll still work either way.....enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
You did just fine with your purchase. It's a Beretta....it's not like it's going to wear out. I visit my LGS's all the time here in Pa and the pickings are very slim.

Yeah, prices may come back down or maybe not....I say buy it when you see it in these times. There's nothing wrong with purchasing a used firearm and particularly a 380....most times they're carried a lot and fired very little.

Get it refinished if you want or not....it'll still work either way.....enjoy!

Thanks man.

I don't think Beretta is importing the 84 or 85 at the moment, I tried to buy a new one before the current panic and no distributor had one, they all said they were discontinued.

They have also since disappeared from BerettaUSA.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back