Injector Cleaner - In-tank and at the fuel rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a recommendation to use in a injector cleaner kit at the fuel rail. Using a canister type which you mix solution and fuel and run through the fuel rail with compressed air line fitted. Used the Ford stuff in the past but it has been awhile. Also, need a recommendation for an in-tank injector cleaner also. I'm in Canada, keep that in mind. Thanks

The only problem with in tank and through the rail solutions is any particulate matter in the system will be pushed into the fuel injectors tiny filter.
If they are really dirty remove them and get them cleaned and the filter changed.

My Hyundai 2009 Sonata 2.4L may have a leaky fuel injector. High amount of fuel in the oil, 6.2. Im building some test rig to clean the injectors but dont know if its possible to replace the injector filters, where to get them.
Trav, you have any idea where to find these filters?

Thx.

Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL has never failed me
wink.gif
Treatment rate is approx. 1 oz. per gallon of fuel...typically every 5th tank-fill...as far as the fuel rail products....I've only ever had experience with the GumOut product that Walmart TLE use(d)....which has been replaced with a Valvoline 2-Step process that is supposedly "No-Smoke" (out the tail pipe...) and better for the environment.....the funny thing is, I talked to my local WM TLE shop mgr, and he said the really neglected cars, will still "smoke" when they do the fuel system service.....hehe. So it's not totally "no smoke" - basically, Valvoline just offered WM more money to feature their service.....rather than Gum Out's product (which isn't mentioned anywhere on the Gum Out.com site for that matter....which I found odd...).

But yea, I've had the GumOut service done, and they hook a little canister up to the PCV valve, and then let the engine idle til the soluton is gone. It's kind of like an IV drip
wink.gif
Kinda curious myself.....couldn't be that hard to DIY yourself :X lol..

That or just go with good ole water decarbonization....mist watter through the intake of the warmed up engine, the steam is said to do some very good cleaning....

Take a look at this one; if you have guts go for it! This is 1990 Taurus SHO with the beautiful Yamaha engine being de-carboned. I don't think it really needed that given this engine must have seen the red line (and beyond) way to often. I had the same white one with black leather interior. The engine was a sweat heart!

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL has never failed me
wink.gif
Treatment rate is approx. 1 oz. per gallon of fuel...typically every 5th tank-fill...as far as the fuel rail products....I've only ever had experience with the GumOut product that Walmart TLE use(d)....which has been replaced with a Valvoline 2-Step process that is supposedly "No-Smoke" (out the tail pipe...) and better for the environment.....the funny thing is, I talked to my local WM TLE shop mgr, and he said the really neglected cars, will still "smoke" when they do the fuel system service.....hehe. So it's not totally "no smoke" - basically, Valvoline just offered WM more money to feature their service.....rather than Gum Out's product (which isn't mentioned anywhere on the Gum Out.com site for that matter....which I found odd...).

But yea, I've had the GumOut service done, and they hook a little canister up to the PCV valve, and then let the engine idle til the soluton is gone. It's kind of like an IV drip
wink.gif
Kinda curious myself.....couldn't be that hard to DIY yourself :X lol..

That or just go with good ole water decarbonization....mist watter through the intake of the warmed up engine, the steam is said to do some very good cleaning....

Decarbonizing the combustion chambers does nothing for the injectors. Chemtool is great on varnish but how do you know if there is a varnish or particulate problem?
You don't unless you get them in a machine. The fluid was new prior to cleaning.

This is the particulate matter out on a single set of 6 injectors that were only marginally dirty.
In theory if it can get past the filter it can get through the nozzle but in reality this isn't so. The particles can bond together to form a clump that needs to be broken down.

sam0939z.jpg

This is a dirty filter against a new one. The filter is not that bad but it is beginning to clog.

sam0941m.jpg

Hey Trav, I enjoy reading your posts, thanks for your input so far. I don't have time to peel the injectors out at this time. I have cleaned injectors at the rail many times in the past using a professional injector cleaning system. However, at the moment the only thing I have access to is to, as mentioned in my original post is, a unit that requires a mix of a cleaning solution and fuel, which is hooked up to an air line (regulated) to provide pressure. I am not disputing your claims regarding restricting the injectors however, the only other choice is running something in the tank. Let me know if you have other alternative suggestions.

What year is this engine? If its one of the older ones i would just run something in the tank like Techron, Regain, Redline, etc.

The newer one you can run something like BG through the rail.
Slight corrosion in the rail is more likely an issue in older engines that you really don't want to possibly disturb with a concentrate under high pressure.

There are so many variables to say one way or the other how dirty or not they are.
I see some old timers that are pretty clean and others that barely function, same make and model injector.
Something simple like filling at the same station over a long period that has old tanks can introduce a lot of contaminants.

I think it's an '09. I ended up adding some Gumout* Regane* High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner to the fuel tank. For the future, which BG product do you recommend for cleaning at the rail?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Take a look at this one; if you have guts go for it! This is 1990 Taurus SHO with the beautiful Yamaha engine being de-carboned. I don't think it really needed that given this engine must have seen the red line (and beyond) way to often. I had the same white one with black leather interior. The engine was a sweat heart!

Read the YouTube comments on this video. At least the folks there have well, sanity. This video on the other hand is a good example of what not to do with a garden hose...

Of course there is a risk if you go crazy and fill the the whole thing with water and stalled the motor! But, he actually did and lived to tell. This method is very old. Personally, I have no guts to do it to my vehicles. I tried to do this to my lawn mower, but it died with just little bit of stream from the Windex bottle and I had to clean the plug to get it restarted.

People have come up with better solvent to do this but water works and is the cheapest solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back