Valve adjustments for Kia/Hyundai engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading about different services required by my 2012 Kia Forte. I am only
at 20k Miles, but am curious about some things.

At 60k I am required to do a valve inspection and possible adjustment. Much of it in KGIS is similar to what I have done on a couple of motorcycles I have owned, but I have never heard of shimless bucket valve train before.

Anyone perform the valve inspection/adjustment on this style of valve train?

The shim is built into the buttom of the bucket, no service is needed unless you hear clicking at idle. What engine?

Its the 2.0 Theta 2 non GDI with CVVT only on the intake side.

The car sounds normal now since it has been loud till it warmed up a little since I owned it, from which the forum says is normal.

I am wondering if the valve is out of spec if they have a standard size bucket you put in. Or do you just try different bucks like you do shims until it reads in the middle of the range provided?

I would guess if its like toyota engines you cant adjust without A full cam box teardown (AFTER CLEARANCE MEASUREMENT) which is a BIG, BIG job (on the Toyota 1NZ AND 2AZ DOHC SUB engines) These are like simple motor bike engines with SUB DOHC - except even HARDER to work on). I would not worry about it unless you have excessive valve noise or you are at the recommended valve clearance check interval.
Many VT noises are really the VVT actuator or very noisy injectors or even piston cocking due to short slipper skirts. Many Newer enginse are too noisy for my liking and Im currently substituting a 1/2qt of RT5 10w30 to quiet them on top of the 0w20 QSUD. It works to good effect on my clattery Honda.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back