Michelin X-Ice Xi2 vs. Firestone Winterforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lyle
My personal choice would be the Firestone Winterforce. It all depends on your overall conditions, but the Michelins are not as good as the Firestones in slush or snow. They wear faster because of their softer rubber, don't handle as well, and with a 100 mile commute every day, you have to take that into consideration.

I put a set of Xi2's on the wifes car at the beginning of this winter, and after a couple of storms, she complained that I wasted our money because they were not what she expected. I then drove her car for a couple of weeks through a couple of snowfalls and pretty much confirmed what she said, and what I've known for 3+ decades. They are pretty good on packed snow and ice/snow, but marginal in slush and snow.

We replaced them with a set of Winterforce because I had a set on a previous car, and she's been in heaven. The past couple months we've had nearly 30" of snow and she hasn't complained once.

Where we live, a good open-tread studdable snow tire works better than the studless designs overall. I've had them all, both studdable and studless, Michelin, Bridgestone, Nokian, General, Cooper, Firestone, BFG. Like I said, this has worked for me for over 30 years and I don't see anything in the studless variety which will change my mind soon.

A lot of that also depends where and how you drive and the type of snows in the area. Bigger snow falls with wet snow then definitely something with more open blocks to throw it clear is warranted. The semi cleared roads and lots of drive time (100+ miles daily) then you want the better road characteristics that also work good in snow. We had a couple good snows this year and my Sonata did great as always. It also sees a daily commute of 50 miles at highway speeds most being dry or wet. Un-common sense (since it's no common anymore) factors in huge but if your out and need to get home you need something. This year we were shut down with a 30 inch snowfall where people abandoned their cars on the roads. I was able to drive out my block in the Sequoia with the Generals and go to firehouse for calls. I also had to pull 2 people off the road so I could get back home as they saw me leave and figured they could make it also. One in a FWD Civic, the other in an Outback with almost bald tires (but hey it's AWD).

I use the Sequoia for ski trips and if large snowfalls are forecasted just for ground clearance and ramps that get plowed over by the plows. Sonata doesn't have the clearance but it can do 10" of fresh stuff with the EWC's. The Sequoia was in shop with leaking fuel injector O-rings. But for winter I do carry a shovel and other stuff in case I get stuck in both vehicles.
sonatalot.jpg

Sometimes you need a little more clearance and 4 turning tires
SequoiaSnow.jpg
]

Last edited:
Hey Sequoiasoon! Im guessing you got wet feet to get that picture?! LOL Id love to get one of those but dont think I could afford the gas on it!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Hey Sequoiasoon! Im guessing you got wet feet to get that picture?! LOL Id love to get one of those but dont think I could afford the gas on it!

Warm and dry...nothing like a good set of Kamik's eh? Toss on my zip up goretex shell pants and all is well. When I bought the Sequoia gas was about $1.30 gallon so $30 filled it up. It is VERY thirsty around town.

The top pick was in the parking lot at work with Sonata. I figured since nobody was in I would see what it takes to get Sonata stuck. Right about there is the limit.

The Sequoia pic if you look at the snow by grill on top of bumper was in a different parking lot (Advanced Auto Parts). I broke a wiper when I hit it with snow brush (cheap plastic clip!). Store was open but workers parked down the street and walked in. They couldn't believe I drove in. Classic was when the plow guy came as I was leaving he got stuck in my tracks and he wasn't plowing yet
laugh.gif

Side note: When you get new wipers put one of the "old" ones by your spare tire just in case something stupid happens. Dry and not clearing as good is better than nothing or scraping metal. Also don't ever buy the one (I think it was Trico) that has the bayonet hook on the side of the blade not in middle of it!

Sequoiasoon nice color Sequoia I have the same shade. How many miles you have on yours and how has the frame held up to rust? Did you have your Sequoia treated by Toyota's voluntary anti-corrosion campaign? Mine is still like showroom new exterior, interior, and frame and rides like it did when I purchased it new. Your exterior looks new like mine.

That pic you posted looks like my driveway to my hobby farm plot in northern WI. I haven't had a chance to plow it recently w/ my Kubota tractor and hydraulic dozer blade mounted.

If you haven't seen Donald's thread and a bunch of tire recommendations I made and what I use on a 2002 Sequoia Limited (and 1997 4Runner Limited) check this thread out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2940345&page=2

To keep this tire related, in that type of heavy snow in the pic you posted I find Blizzak's are the gold standard, then Michelin LTX A/T2's, and finally my Michelin LTX M/S's when it comes to snow traction in thick & heavy conditions. Im my experience I have gotten stuck in the Sequoia in 4wd, heavy snow of greater than a foot, while I had the Michelin LTX M/S2's on. I yet have had any "assistance requirements" in extricating the Sequoia in similar conditions w/ either the AT/2's and DM-V1's. I will say the MS/2's brake better in snowy conditions than do the AT/2's but again stopping on a dime in winter requires winter tread.

99Saturn, I have no experience w/ either Michelin X-ice Xi2 nor the Winterforces on a sedan platform but I am more than satisfied w/ my Blizzak DM-V1 on SUVs. Tread life has been great so far. When they do wear out I will purchase a set of Michelin X-ice Xi3 at Sam's Club for a proper comparison w/ the Blizzak DM-V1.

I can add that my ex-GF really liked the winter traction on her Town Car fitted w/ Nokian WR's (discontinued). Maybe look into the updated Nokian WRG2 if you want to run a single tire year-round.

Good Luck

I have used Winterforce on my BMW for the last 3 years. Still plenty of tread left. However, they are getting to be very noisy and I believe harder rubber. Perhaps one more winter as I will not be commuting this winter. Also, I will not be replacing theme with Winterforce if needed.

Good point on the deep snow. The X-Ice would be good in the ice (it's designed for that), but I'm not sure how well it would do in deep snow and slush.

Having the lugs like the winterforce has is definitely better for self cleaning (and digging to the pavement) or hitting slush.

Unfortunately, for the size I run on the Focus in winter (185 65 15) there aren't too many other options that would do better in deep snow.

Those 'closeout' Michelins were manufactured in 2009 (already been sitting around for 4 years)...I would have bought a set if they weren't so 'old'....

Try Dunlop Wintersports, quiet, good snow traction and ice traction, handle very well on dry pavement as well.

The only winter tires I've owned in the last 30 years were Winterforce, which I put on a 1991 Toyota pickup I had up until about seven years ago. They were outstanding in the snow and darn good in the rain, too. Their cost was reasonable, and I'd buy them again.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I am thinking of winter tires for next season and was hoping to hear some opinions on Michelin X-Ice Xi2 or Firestone Winterforces.

These would be going on a Chevy Cruze LS (stock size 215-60-16) and driven in lower New York. 100 mile commute daily and snow (when it does happen) varies anywhere between an inch and a foot.

Winterforce is like buying a 1990's vintage snow tire. To get decent ice traction they require studs along with all the noise and poor wet traction. Michelin's are winter tires that use technology to become studless and also are nice comfy tires all around.

I would guess Winterforce may be a better tire in mud if you encounter gravel roads in the mud season. (I do and those are tough even with modern winter tires, AWD rules there).

Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
But for winter I do carry a shovel and other stuff in case I get stuck in both vehicles.
sonatalot.jpg

Sometimes you need a little more clearance and 4 turning tires
SequoiaSnow.jpg
]

That looks like the depth of families ski house driveway across an open field that drifts in. I actually can do it with a slight uphill and ice underneath with all-season Michelin Lattitudes in a Acura MDX with traction control off. It does take some bashing and backing up which I think winter tires would eliminate. CLearance seems to be king coupled to AWD/4wd traction irregardless of tires. Interestingly FWD with winter tires cannot do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back