Bridgestone RE970AS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thinking of going with these to replace mty Hankook Ventus V12 Evo on my Vic. They will need replacement here in the next couple of months and Im having a problem with the temperature capability of summer only tires as I work at night and only in the past week have I been going home in temperatures that are 'correct' for summer tires; Though, I have had them on for almost a month now. I was starting to have the opposite problem of it being too warm for winter tires while driving to work, and I was also anxious to play.
Im going to keep my Winter tires so snow performance is not a factor, but running A/S on my summer wheels will allow extended temperature range operation.

Opinions/Other suggestions?

IMO this is smart for those of us who have a more complete range of four seasons.

I have the 960AS on my saab and like them. They are wearing really well and dont show any signs of cracking or browning, which is rare for tires kept outside, IMO.

Thats 100% the reason I bought kumho 4x instead of a summer tire.

I have a set of winters on steelies.

but I like to take my winters off mid-end march.. and put them on mid december.

I hate running winters when its 50F+ out or summers when its
The kumho's have been fairly amazing but they do flatspot horribly when it gets below freezing.
Last week though its been a low of around 50F and they have been fine.

I got a AMAZING deal on the kumho's

If I was going to do it again I'm be really tempted to pull the trigger on some primacy MXM4's

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I got a AMAZING deal on the Kumho's

Me too. I got it last Cyber Monday from AT with $50 instant rebate plus $125 online rebate($50 from AT and $75 from Kumho), also AT had wrong/lower price on 235/45-17 size. After I bought mine they raised the price from $100/ea to $118. So I got a set for less than $300 after installed and tax.

Put on a set of 970s on my 530i last week. Can't really say much at this point as I have less than 100 miles on them and haven't pushed them hard. I was generally happy with the 960s that I had before. These 970s appear very similar in that they are true 3-season tire but suck in the snow, hence I've got dedicated winter tires/wheels.

I was hoping Michelin would release their new Pilot Sport A/S 3, alas, I think they won't be out until late this year. I couldn't wait this long.

I personally loved its predecessor RE960. I think they would service you very well especially with winter tires in the mix.

I much preferred these tires in the dry or wet winter days over my Dunlop 3D winter tires.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Put on a set of 970s on my 530i last week. Can't really say much at this point as I have less than 100 miles on them and haven't pushed them hard. I was generally happy with the 960s that I had before. These 970s appear very similar in that they are true 3-season tire but suck in the snow, hence I've got dedicated winter tires/wheels.

I was hoping Michelin would release their new Pilot Sport A/S 3, alas, I think they won't be out until late this year. I couldn't wait this long.

I just looked those up. If they come out in my size, and they are not retardedly expensive, I might buy the Michelins. Would be nice to do an actual rotation pattern for once. Im just feeling out options at this point but Im pretty certain Im going with an A/S unless there is a summer that is spec'd for lower temperatures.

I dont think you could go wrong with those new michelins

they should be top tier.

Just for comparison I paid 488$ for 4 shipped
then -180$ in rebates.

I then sold my factory tires

so after roadforce mount and balance it cost me
225/55R17

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Im thinking of going with these to replace mty Hankook Ventus V12 Evo on my Vic.

Im going to keep my Winter tires so snow performance is not a factor, but running A/S on my summer wheels will allow extended temperature range operation.

Going to any all-season tire, you will lose significant braking effectiveness in wet conditions, compared to the Ventus V12 tires, which have excellent wet braking characteristics. Because you are keeping the winter tires for winter conditions, there is no rationale to support the choice of an all-season tire, The best braking traction is obtained when as much moisture has been evacuated from the contact patch as possible, but the chemical composition of the hydrophilic tread compound in an all-season tire has been formulated to cling to water to allow the tire to have traction on snow, with the consequence that the tread will retain a film of water in wet pavement conditions.

Your temperature musings are a non-issue. At any temperature above freezing, the Ventus V12 tires will be no less grippy than the Bridgestones, and the Bridgestones will have less traction at below-freezing temperatures than your winter tires do.

Originally Posted By: GC4lunch
there is no rationale to support the choice of an all-season tire,

How about longer treadlife and greater comfort?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Im thinking of going with these to replace mty Hankook Ventus V12 Evo on my Vic.

Going to any all-season tire, you will lose significant braking effectiveness in wet conditions, compared to the Ventus V12 tires, which have excellent wet braking characteristics. Because you are keeping the winter tires for winter conditions, there is no rationale to support the choice of an all-season tire, The best braking traction is obtained when as much moisture has been evacuated from the contact patch as possible, but the chemical composition of the hydrophilic tread compound in an all-season tire has been formulated to cling to water to allow the tire to have traction on snow, with the consequence that the tread will retain a film of water in wet pavement conditions.

Your temperature musings are a non-issue. At any temperature above freezing, the Ventus V12 tires will be no less grippy than the Bridgestones, and the Bridgestones will have less traction at below-freezing temperatures than your winter tires do.

I went to work today (yesterday for most people) at 1700 and it was 60F. When I drove home at 0530 today it was 27F. I had to switch out of the winters early this month due to the day time temperature and I was really wanting to run my car hard occasionally which I cannot do on my winters. I was really wearing the carp out of the winters. I think they are a 7 or 8 now? They were 11/32 when I put them on in the fall.

Last edited:
I would expect 3Ds to last a little longer than one winter (6/32 being minimum winter tread depth).
How many miles have you driven this winter?

Krzys

I think I found that with my 20K miles a year I was wearing 2-3/32 each season. 2 winters and my Conti TS810 are being used to get some extra milage from my summer tires.

Krzys

Yeah, right. When your car is lying on its side in a ditch by the road because it lost traction on wet pavement, you want the passers-by to comment, "But he still has an impressive amount of tread depth, doesn't he?"

Tire manufacturers know how to add tread life and greater comfort, like pepperoni added to a take-out pizza, to any tire -- but those additions involve trade-offs against other desirable properties in a tire. The fact that all-season tires and long tread life happen to coincide in many models of tires simply reflects that manufacturers' assessment of the kind of person who desires an all-season tire: basically a cheapskate, who does not want to pay the price for winter tires that are significantly safer than all-season tires in snowy conditions plus the price for non-all-season tires that are significantly safer than all-season tires on wet roads. If the purchaser's buying decision is fundamentally built on "cheap," then long tread life is very high on his list of priorities, and he has volunteered that safety is well down his list of priorities.

Yeah, right. When your car is lying on its side in a ditch by the road because it lost traction on wet pavement, you want the passers-by to comment, "But he still has an impressive amount of tread depth, doesn't he?"

LOL! You have a real knack for blowing things out of proportion.

I can do that, too. Why don't we all run slicks on sunny summer days? After all, once they're warmed up, they should provide even better dry traction than regular summer tires, right?

Quote:
assessment of the kind of person who desires an all-season tire: basically a cheapskate,

I wouldn't call someone who buys a tire like RE970 a cheapskate by any means. It is more capable than most street drivers require, IMO. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back