Sandwich Oil Filter Adapter for Duramax Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to install the Amsoil BMK21 Single bypass filter on my truck. I had the BMK27 but it cut the oil pressure down and caused my LML oil pump to whine. I know amsoil makes a kit (sandwich adapter+oil fill cap return) but I want to return my oil back into the oil stream and not dump it back into the sump. Would this work?:

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ear-503erl

...any input is appreciated...

PirateDiesel I used a sandwich adapter for about 12 years on fords that where
hooked up so the return was going back to the adapter. They were Perma-Cool
oil adapters and never had any troubles, plus an easy hook up.

Originally Posted By: PirateDiesel
No vehicle "Needs" bypass filtration but folks install them anyways for various reasons... ...still looking to help on my OP.

So it's just a "cool" factor since bypass filtration doesn't provide "better" filtration just longer duration. You plan on running the Amsoil out to their recommended 25k mileage (LML excluded)using UOAs to verify oil quality or just dump the sump when you feel like it?

Just curious...

Yes that would work. Seems a bit pricey; other brands might cost a bit less.

Curious how much pressure drop you saw with the system changed over?

What's your plan for OCIs and FCIs?

Last edited:
My lml is fully deleted. Just ordered some Amsoil CI oil (not CJ4) to try out. Trying 20K OCI and FCI's with UAO's at 10k to check on things...

I did not measure Oil Pressure to see how much it dropped(just the dummy gauge on the dash)and it was lower at idle and rolling down the road. My oil pump whines with the bmk27 dual bypass installed. I don't think the hose and fittings are large enough for the new lml oil pumps. The hose is 3/4" id but with fittings and such more like 1/2" id. Thats pretty small to me...

Will the aformentioned sandwish adapters keep the oil pressure the same as stock or will it knock it down some? I still want good flow...

Last edited:
Why not tap directly into the oil galley on the Duramax? It's hard to explain where it is, but there's a bolt that can be removed and you can get your supply from there for your bypass filter. That's where I am getting my source supply for my bypass filter.

This thread sheds a little light on the galley plug bolt: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-d...-plug-what.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I want to return my oil back into the oil stream and not dump it back into the sump. Would this work?
No.

There must be a significant pressure differential to force the oil through the dense media of the bypass filter. This is best achieved by taking a very small amount of oil from the pump, deep filtering it, then returning the oil back to the sump. Keep in mind that your engine's oil pump has a pressure control valve that dumps excess oil output back to the sump at higher rpms to maintain a near-steady oil pressure. You are just redirecting some of this oil that returns to the sump.

The only way to return the deep filtered oil back to the oil stream would be to use a booster pump at the bypass filter outlet---way too much trouble for nothing. You already tried the only other way to get the deep filtered oil back to the oil stream--Amsoil's orifice--and didn't like the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back